Looking for help on speeding up a job

Hi Guys!

I’m hoping that you might be able to give me some quick advice on a job that I’m about to run off. Right now, my total machining time is going to be about 1 hour : 36 min. It seems like a really long process for what I’m cutting.

Could you take a look at my settings and let me know how I can speed up the process without compromising quality?

Here are some screenshots. I can also send someone the vcarve file if need be.

Thanks so much!

Trevor

Hi Trevor,
Some observations: You are using V-Carve version 11.015, which is several versions behind as depicted (top/right) 11.506 is available for free upgrade. I see your pockets are 0.15 inches deep which is pretty shallow, so hopefully you are going full depth in a single pass? I would also double the feed from 80 to 150-200 inches/min. Plunge should also increase from 30 to about 100 (usually half the feed). I also notice the rapid rate is expressed in metric, while everything else is imperial. The spindle speed looks about right though. I do recommend each pass be at least .125 inch per pass for depth of cut, as a compression bit is meant to be plunged into the material at least as deep as where the cut direction changes on the bit.

2 Likes

Also, Trevor, you’ll find that V-Carve’s estimate of the run time probably bears little relation to what your controller will calculate when you upload the file.

Also check your rapid height (z-axis raise) and ratchet it down to something like 0.2" so when it lifts to move over for the next plunge it won’t have to go up very far.

2 Likes

Change the scale factor to 1 and that will be very close to what the controller will show as actual machine time. If I remember correctly, once changed, the setting will remain.

1 Like

Your feeds are very conservative (I’m assuming youre using a makita as the spindle speed is also a little on the slow side too so im assuming you just left a default). I’d go deeper and faster. That will get you what you need.

If you haven’t, consider increasing the jerk and/or acceleration of your machine. You will see great gains on toolpaths that have a lot of turning or lifting and lowering of the z axis. I saw some parts reduced to a third of their initial cut time from factory settings when i went to 10k.

You can also reduce the safe z height in vcarve to mitigate some of the time wasted raising and lowering the Z, which will buy you a lot of time on detailed pocketing jobs with lots of different sections like your butterflies seem to have.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply and the link the the video. I remember watching this a year or so ago and changing my motors to the max 10,000 jerk setting. I just doubled checked and it is still set to this.

Below are my tool settings for the Jenny bit. I initially input these values based on the manufacture’s recommendations and have never changed them. I bet all of my tools are off because I use the default. I wish I knew more about proper settings and what I could get away with but I’m new to CNC.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I really appreciate the help!

Below are my tool settings for the Jenny bit. I initially input these values based on the manufacture’s recommendations and have never changed them. I bet all of my tools are off because I use the default. I wish I knew more about proper settings and what I could get away with but I’m new to CNC. If anyone feels like letting me know what all of the settings should be changed to, that would be great!

Cheers!