Machinist in X-50

Nope. The High-Z I was loaned was smaller, more desktop sized. It was smaller than the Shopbot I had for wood & non-metal projects. I don’t recall the dimensions but it was larger than a Shapeoko Nomad and smaller than a 1F WW. Something like 18"x24". I don’t know if it was a U.S. or export-specific offering. It was nice with the integrated coolant pump which is great for metals & glass. That was how I got started with Fusion - they didn’t have a PP for VCarve which is what I was using for the Shopbot. But with all the nonsense that Fusion licensing has gone through the past couple of years I’ve stopped using it even for my metalworking projects (I also have a CNC plasma table, brake & powder coating setup).

I decided I wanted a 4ft wide bed (standard sheet good size ) and was going to get the 1F WW and source longer tubes for the X rail when they announced the JM. One of the reasons I liked the 1F is the ability to sub in longer tubes/screws.I didn’t check to see if there was a larger version of the High Z in the 1F price range when I decided on the JM (the smaller one was already more expensive).

1 Like

Hey Bill, hey all,

When @ben mentioned the Mafell FM1000, one of the numerous machines with 43 mm euro mount, and the need for a 65-mm-to-43-mm reducer, I immediately had the thought that I would really like to try to make a reduction clamp for 43 mm tools for the Onefinity mount. I don’t have the time at the moment, but I think with some experience, one should be able to mill one out of aluminium. I imagine it would clamp the 43 mm machine with a small (<1 mm) radial opening on one side, tightened with one or two grub screws, and it would look like a 65 mm or 80 mm diameter disc. But the problem is, the Onefinity mounts have certain height (1.5″ (38.2 mm) height on 65 mm mount and 2″ (51 mm) on 80 mm mount), and since 43 mm Euro Mount is not that deep, the milling motor would either need to be slipped into the mount but at least the Suhner is to wide for this (see image below), or the collet would not protrude completely out of the mount on the underside. Or, third possibility, one would take a file and file down the Onefinity mount :cold_sweat:.

Suhner_UAD_25-RF__cross_section__66.7pct

UAD 25-RF cross section in Suhner Catalog

When I was looking into options other than a water cooled spindles I looked at the headstock/servo offerings here - https://glockcnc.com/ - but was not sure if the mounting modifications, cost, tool speeds, etc would be worth it. The headstock options look to be of good quality.

2 Likes

Awww, crap! Digging up that very dimension was on my to-do list. I was afraid of this…

1 Like

Hey Jim,

If a software manufacturer behaves the way Autodesk does towards buyers, then I know that they don’t want my money. Vectric shows how to make money with proprietary software while respecting the customer. My favorite license is that of FreeCAD :slight_smile:.

1 Like

I agree. The Z definitely needs to be beefier to mill mild steel. IT is possible though, I was looking at my Z last night and how it could be designed slightly different and sold as an upgrade, BUT I’m happy with my setup as it is right now! If I need some mild steel machined a friend has a full machine shop and I just send him the Fusion file and get a quote.

1 Like