Makita Speed Dial Changing

I’m probably not the only affected user… can anyone offer a tip on the vibration matter slowing down the speed of my router. This is annoying, to say the least.

JENN

I’ve seen several people stick a toothpick down beside the dial and/or put a piece of tape over it.

Thankfully I’ve not had this issue (yet)

1 Like

Lucky you Nick, well I will have to give that tip a shot. I was going to crack if open and see if I could tighten something up in there…

JENN

Hey Jenn,

I poseted something about this issue about a year ago, but the short solution I found was to just put a small 3/4" piece of masking tape over the switch and it works perfect. I folded one edge so I can peal it up quickly too. I get around 10 reatachments before I have to replace the tape but fast forward a year I’m still “speed change free”.

-Alex

4 Likes

I’ve had an idea to take out the whole potentiometer module and extend the wires so I can control the speed on the fly from the front of my table, but then I realized it’s not actually hard to adjust it where it is while it’s running :thinking:

I had an issue where the Amana RC-45711 90° V-Bit would speed up the router due to it having slightly more vibration than other bits without the replaceable insert.

My temporary solution was to take a hot glue gun and put a dot of glue between the dial and router case to lock it at #3. It is easy enough to pull off and change if I needed to use a different speed.

Looking at permanent solution which I will share once if have time to finish the R&D on it.

1 Like

Hmmm, I am a year late to the party! :stuck_out_tongue:
Nevertheless, thanks Alex! Let’s Tape’r Up

JENN

P.S. there’s still no excuse for this, makita should get their S*** together

Albeit, it is kinda whacky turning up the knob wheel while 1F is traversing… you’d have to pause it first I think

Amazing hoops we have to jump through! Tape, Glue Guns, Toothpicks, reengineer with home made potentiometer modules… let’s voice our opinions to the manufacturers, they get our hard earned money, we deal with inferior gear and become complacent. Let’s bitch — it’s the American way! :stuck_out_tongue:

Bitch to “Makita”, that is…

JENN

1 Like

You do know you are using a trim router in a cnc machine which it wasn’t designed for.

I also know I shouldn’t answer this post because it will open a big can of worms.

2 Likes

If you go to https://www.ereplacementparts.com/ you will find the replacement speed controller for $25.52. Will it fix your problem, probably yes. Will it last forever, probably not. Just trying to help. Not trying to start a fight.

I think onefinity should have designed the z axis for a spindle. Then include a sleeve for the makita router. Something similar that they did for the shapeoko. Eventually I think you will have to go the spindle route.

Funny…. I ran into the Makita screwing up months ago…. Bought a second machine…. Same issue…. Here’s the solution…. TAPE! Ha ha!

You’d think makita would have a quality assurance department that would have addressed this matter by now? :slightly_frowning_face:

I think I have to side with Makita on this one. To be fair to them, it is a hand-held variable-speed trim router with a non-precise dial for speeds. It was originally designed to trim laminate on counter tops. It was not designed nor intended to maintain a precisely defined speed for extending periods of time with any type of precision. Now if you set it at 5 and it dropped to 1 or set to 2 and went to 7, over the course of a couple of feet of trimming that is one thing, but we are talking about creep over an extended period of time under constant movement/loads. If you truly require pin-point precision, they make spindles that do just that for a much higher cost. I definitely don’t want to spend any significant amount of $ increase for it to maintain a setting of a SWAG 1.5-2 setting, which probably varies some in a DIYer style trim router anyway. When I am ready for that kind of precision I will be upgrading to the spindle where I can set it at 17500 rpm, etc.

3 Likes

I’m with you Dean, when Makita came out with this router they had no way of knowing it was going to be used in such a way. With that said they run like a champ for a super long time so kudos for building a product that “typically” gets used in 5-20min blocks of time and runs for 8+hrs without a hiccup.

Sure it would be great if there was no speed float but again $.01 piece of tape solves the issue for me so ZERO complaints!!

-Alex

3 Likes

Well put Dean. Putting everything in perspective the way you have really helps.

Hmm, neither is the dewalt trim router being used by thousands on their shapeoko cnc machines… I haven’t seen the vibration complaints affecting the speed dial coming from that camp.

Okay, Makita is great. Personally I find that complacency allows for inferior manufacturing of products to never have a reason for improvement. My 2 cents.

The prosecution rests.

1 Like

I am not saying they are great, I am saying the product was made for an intended purpose and it serves that purpose well, even though we are using it for a function beyond its intended purpose so this is a perceived shortcoming because it does not meet your expectations.

Comparing two different brands is a great example of where one has a perceived problem in the eyes of one user and one does not. For instance, by your logic, I could say that Shapeoko’s QA department is sleeping at the wheel and should have addressed the v-wheel/belt issues so there is rarely an adjustment needed, but that is not the case. I mean Onefinity has never had issues with belt tension on any of there CNC machines, because it was designed differently. These are both CNC machines and they just have two different approaches to how they move the x/y/z. I would argue that one is better than the other, hence my purchase of the Onefinity. Both machines have an intended purpose and most owners would say each executes the job very well. Some users are ok with the belts others are willing to pay a bit more or trade-off other features to not deal with the additional maintenance needed on the belts.

Similarly, some are ok using an off the shelf trim router (with nuances), some will go with a Chinese spindle for 3x the price without those issues, and others that want the best will pay 13x more for a German made industrial type spindle with even less issues than the less expensive spindle.

2 Likes

Thank you sir, good schooling.

Please keep in mind that this makita router has been on the market for at least 2 years now. I bought my original router in September of 2019 with my shapeoko. Then bought the onefinity a year later and bought another makita router as a spare if my original would ever die. They were hard to find then. If you look at any website that sells parts for the makita, you will find that some parts are discontinued. This makes me think that the end may be near for this router. This will force people to buy a spindle unless another router this size is made. Only other one I know of is the router that carbide 3D sells for $80.

Just my 2 cents.