Masso G3 ATC build update - prototype roll way covers for X axis - REVISITED


I machined the right hand side roll cover start to finish, and used that as an initial test of the cover’s effectiveness. It did a very good job of keeping the HDPE and aluminum chips off the top rail and ball screw. The bottom rail only had a few HDPE chips stuck to it. Given that I did not use any chip protection at all at the end mill during any of the machining I am quite pleased.

I installed the 2nd roll cover, and now the last design challenge is to decide on what I will do for a chip shield/dust shoe. I have a few new ideas, using a few different components - I just need to decide which design wins out and I will then order some parts.

A long time ago I designed and 3D printed a solution to act as bearing wipers on the linear tube rails. I thought since I finished the roll covers I would try them out now as well to see how they work. They are in two parts, with a ring of industrial felt held against the linear bearing on pushed against the tube. There is a channel for a cable tie that holds the entire assembly together on firmly on the linear bearing. I saturated the inner edge of the felt ring with 3 in 1 oil, and will add more as needed. I will be away from my machine now for a week, so will share the results of testing them upon my return.

Here are some photos that help explain the above descriptions:


One thing I am always considering, and have for a long time, is improving the protection of the linear motion components on my Woodworker. The high wall aluminum panels that I made do a good job of keeping most debris off the Y axes, but a solution for the X axis gantry has not been as simple.

I researched many solutions over the years since getting my Onefinity - custom bellows from overseas, telescopic spring covers, and roll way covers - and realised quickly after getting a few quotes that I simply can’t afford any of the company offerings (I also was not convinced they would work, since there are pros and cons to each solution).

So, with more and more ‘successful’ machining experience to draw on, and my constant need to modify my machine, I have a finished prototype to test.

For those wanting more information, I have:

  1. A new reel on my IG page, which provides a very quick video summary of the machining process, parts, and a glimpse at the finished prototype on the CNC
  1. For those that don’t mind taking more time, I have uploaded two videos (Part 1 and 2) to my YT channel. These are best watched in order, as they are really one long video that kept crashing my old Dell M4800 - so now they are two :grinning:. In the longer version I have added short captions detailing the F360 toolpaths, endmills used, and a bit more information on the machining and work holding used.

I have installed the roll cover on one side, and will evaluate its effectiveness at keeping chips off the tubular rails and ball screw. I will update my post as new information presents itself.

Here are a few photos that may help people decide if they want to take the time to watch the videos (many of these photos appear in both).


Looks great, but I have to a ask about the “Y” rails… what are you doing there?

I designed custom guards, and had a local shop cut and bend the aluminum for me. I have my Y rails elevated on 8080 extrusion blocks, and the guards screw into those. They do a good job of keeping most chips away, even when not using any dust shoe etc on the spindle, which for me is most of the time.

One reason for the investment was to protect the linear motion components of the Y/B axes, but also to provide structural support for future modifications. For example I have a proximity sensor through one guard used during ATCs, and rails mounted at the back on both sides for the tool rack cover.

Most of my work of late is hard plastic and aluminum, and I am still working on a design for a clear ‘chip shield’ that will be permanently attached. It will function to keep the chips from flying up into the room :grinning:, but also allow for the ATC to work. I have designed various automatic/retractable dust shoes, which worked when tested, but have not committed to a final design yet. The ATC adds an extra challenge for chip extraction which I have not yet solved to my satisfaction - I have many more ideas however :grin:.


Well, I just commented that I was considering jacking up the “Y” rails, and you go and do it. My reason was to be able to tile sliding the part in X instead of Y. You called the risers “blocks” can I assume they did not run the full “Y” axis length.

You call it 8080, did you really mean 8080 or was it a typo for 8020. I do see an 8080, was it used to get 2 T-slots? Assuming the 80x80 is 80 mm that is ~3.15 inch raise… good thing Mo Mass is Mo Better

Not a typo. These are blocks that bolt with the plates on two sides - one is visible with the 8 M8 T-nuts that fix it to the 8080 extrusion that runs the full width as support under the aluminum plate table. I needed the height mainly for clearance for my ATC set-up, as I am using a pick and place method vs conventional forks (which would not require the extra height as the tool change happens horizontally). I also wanted the extra clearance height for certain stock, and work holding options such as a rotary axis or indexing head.

1 Like

I added an update and my design for linear rail tube wipers.

1 Like