Masso G3 controller enclosure update - internal wiring completed

It has been a while since I first tested the components with my 1F Woodworker, and after much time and effort (planning the layout, wiring, …) the main work of building my control enclosure is nearly complete. I just finished drilling/cutting the holes for the through hole connectors and components, and will assemble everything soon. I still need to decide on the front panel layout and which switches and indicator lights I want, and where to place them. Also, the final step once the backer panel is bolted back in will be to add labels for the wires and components.

For those interested I have included a few pictures.

3 Likes

Gordon Bennet, I had better not share any pictures of my wiring. Well, I could, but you might liken it to the children puzzle:

Very impressive.

Remind me, with the Masso G3, it (1) does not need a fan (2) 5 axis such that one can add a rotatory four-axis?

Hey Tom @TMToronto,

you’re one year in this forum. You got the cakeday :cake: icon above! Congratulations!

1 Like

I went down many rabbit holes to complete my enclosure - none of them necessary, but it is my hobby and I have the time to enjoy it. Your children’s puzzle wiring I am sure works, and works well. As for the Masso, it does not need a fan (I have a 140 mm Noctua that will push air through my panel from bottom to top). I purchased the 5 axis option, the most that Masso supports, and have successfully used it to control the tangential knife (5th axis) I built. I am using two axes for the Y steppers and have them slaved to use the dual homing sensor option supported by the software.
As an aside, I just today finished soldering a prototype y axis splitter board I made. I posted pics in the 1F advanced user FB group. The circuitry splits a single axis step/direction signal into two, and returns two homing sensor inputs back into one. Homing is not complete until both sensors trigger. The controller should see both axes as only one. Squaring of the gantry can be done by fine tuning the position of the limit switches. I created it to free up one of my 5 axes to use ‘very far into the future’ as an additional axis (to experiment with 5 axis milling). Perhaps some CNC users with 4 axis controllers might want to copy it to free up an axis for a rotary axis, without the need for switching cabling, etc. I believe it would only work with controllers using homing sensors.

Your splitter sounds interesting but would need to convert the buildbotics controllers to handle limit switches - I have read that this seems reasonably achievable.

The thought if a fanless Masso is appealing given the posts on dust busting controllers.

Thank you for sharing your work and your response.

1 Like

Hi @TMToronto

I’m building up courage for the Masso G3 (and the funds - it’s gonna cost a bob or to). I’ve just discovered that there is a Masso distributor in the UK.

I am interested in the Masso for getting a 4th axis installed. But while I was searching your threads on the Masso build (to create my BoM), I came across this post and your splitter. I can not find your post on Facebook - can you help me? I might go the splitter route first before shelling out on a masso upgrade.

Cheers

I can’t find it either now on FB so I just attached a few photos here:
My schematic and DIY PCB board of the splitter
My solderable breadboard version
My initial test with a 1F stepper and inexpensive driver

Unfortunately I have not been able to get either prototype working yet - the original breadboard version worked - so I have some troubleshooting to do. I have been involved in a few other projects since then, but I will get back to it and definitely post my “eventual” success.

The Masso upgrade was expensive, but I have yet to regret it. I recently bought a tool setter, and now an ATC spindle, and I know that setting these up, including all the associated components, will be seamless with the Masso. For me that alone was worth the cost. As this is my hobby, the time and money it took to build the enclosure and electronics was also enjoyable for me, but certainly not for everyone.

2 Likes

Good luck with the splitter. Electronics can be frustrating to fix when you know it once worked. I have suffered from dry joints.

Masso Upgrade Costs: well my Dad always said that “…a shroud has no pockets” so might as well enjoy it.

Masso Upgrade Steppers: you replaced the 1F steppers. Any specific reason, are they essential or an option?

Not necessary, but since I knew I was upgrading my PSU, and eventually getting a heavier z assembly/spindle, I felt it was good futureproofing to get more powerful motors.

1 Like

You mention Avidcnc for your parts: what do you think of their rotary part?

If you mean their rotary (4th) axis assembly, it is robust, but very expensive. I am currently designing and costing a frame and leg supports out of aluminum extrusions, so I can appreciate the modular design and how it fits into their CNC line-up. They use a Nema 34 stepper, have the sensor for homing, and rate it at only 3 arcminutes of backlash - all of which is great…but I think I can design something with similar functionality for much less. I am still considering purchasing an inexpensive set-up from overseas, if for no other reason but to get experience setting up a rotary axis with my Masso, and seeing what I can do with available software. If I find I am producing things of quality, that I or others can use, then I may build my own. Because I am always looking to mill aluminum well, I am currently sourcing harmonic drives for the rotary application. They typically have zero backlash, can be bought with integrated motors and encoders - some even with hollow centres if you wish to mill bar stock. The challenge for me will be to design and mill aluminum parts for the frame etc… Not impossible, just needs a bit more thought…and more money of course. Not an inexpensive hobby for sure.

1 Like