Masso Touch Probe

For the new Elite users, anybody using a probe like the " PGFUN CNC 3D Touch Probe Upgraded XYZ Axis Anti-roll Edge Finder Waterproof 3 Coordinate Measuring Sensor Kit" off of Amazon?

Or any touch probe for that matter?

Incidentally, I came from a classic Journeyman with a wireless controller, in class I have been using a “jog wheel” which is what the Masso uses… I think I like the Jog wheel better.

I have my system set up to use a Drewtronics - wired - touch probe.

I agree with you about the pendant. Up until a few years ago I had never used a CNC before, so come with no previous experience or bias wrt pendant vs game pad etc… But I quickly got used to the pendant. I find it quite versatile, and I do not even need to look at it anymore - muscle memory allows me to use it while my eyes are focused on the task.

I use the Onefinity 3 axis touch probe and share it between the Elite Foreman and the Journeyman as it works for both.

If you are talking the “puck” type, yup, I have one of those. Once you calibrate the machine they work well enough.

I have been using a touch probe on a Haas CNC and kind like that style … so looking into that.

Yup, You’re correct Espressomatic. The author appeared to ask about a means of establishing x,y, & z on his new Masso. I pointed out the item supplied by Onefinity and used their description which is PROBE! After 25+ years of CNC experience, I do know the difference between a touch plate and an active measuring probe. I was trying to keep “apples to apples”, so to speak, it was their (Onefinitys’) description, not mine.

OK guys… Nomenclature can be an issue … chuckle. Yes I am looking for “electronic probes”. Using one in a class I am taking on the Haas machines. The Masso seems to support them, so just looking for hands on experience.

I went back and read your thread … sorry I missed it to begin with. Wow who knew this was a controversial topic.

To your point on surface mapping … that would give you pocketed text of uniform depth on a wavy surface. Just trying to add a use case to your example.

And I think we agree for similiar cost, if you have the Masso controller the “Touch Probe” is a better option than the “Touch Plate”. And that assumes you know how to use it… crashing into a touch plate MIGHT be cheaper than crashing a probe.

Hey Jim, hey all,

English, as everybody knows, is the language where every thing has ten different words denoting it, and in addition, every single word denotes at least ten different things. Therefore, in English, the meaning and use of words depends on the conventions established in a particular context or environment. For example, a “torsion box” does not really mean a torsion box, but an anti-torsion box :slight_smile: Therefore, I am not sure if in English, the term → “probe” for the Triquetra 3-Axis Touch plate is completely semantically incorrect. But in the most meanings, “probe” describes something with which you penetrate something to explore something.

1. (sciences) A small device, especially an electrode, used to explore, investigate or measure something by penetrating or being placed in it.

– Source: Probe – Wiktionary

1 Like

Has anyone tried this with masso

They are claiming

• Ultra precisely machined to ±0.02mm tolerance

Check out Adam Fenn’s You Tube page, he just uploaded a video on just this topic and done very well.
Pat

1 Like

That would be the Ugly Dog Workshop to be more clear.
Pat

1 Like

I saw the post - and then ordered the 360CNC touch probe

I bought the TopCom.cz kit months ago. Probe & 2xTLS set A (topcom.cz). I am currently installing it … but either the touch disk was forgotten, or I ate it. So, installing the same basic items as
“Ugly Dog Workshop”

I will be including a review of this kit as I go over my machines build.

1 Like