Max feed for Z during a 3D carve?

What are you guys setting the max z feed rate at in the machine settings? Factory is around 118ipm and I’m currently running the machine max for Z at150ipm. The Z feed is the limiting factor in speed for 3D carves.

Is anyone successfully going faster than 150ipm for Z? To be clear, I’m talking machine settings and velocities as shown in the velocity block on the controller screen while running a carve. Thanks.

Too bad no one has responded to your post so far.
I’ve been doing more 3D carves of late and also found Z to be the time limiting element. I’ve not tried it yet but will give your 150ipm top a go when the latest project completes.
Have you tried any higher rates, other than your suggestion?

Seeing @pwpacp reply popped this into view for me.

While my z rates of 80ipm are nowhere near 150ipm you are doing, a limiting factor for me was jerk rate. Switching from 1,000 km/min^3 to 10,000 cut ~45 minutes of a 1h 45m carve.

Before the change it was 20ipm flickering on the screen during 3d carves. Although it’s hard to tell watching the screen, it’s still not hitting sustained 80ipm but I see high 50’s.

2 Likes

As @Mitch says… Max jerk and max accel are what you want to tweak. They control how fast the axis comes up to the requested speed and because z does such short movements it never gets to full speed. Increasing those can lead to missed steps if you go to far so you need to test it accordingly on materials you normally cut.

2 Likes

I haven’t gone over 150. Realistically, the machine can only go so fast in the Z. Watching the velocity on the screen readout, I’m rarely ever hitting the 150ipm on a 3D carve. The Z speed is the limiting factor. If there are a lot of small Z movements, you’re not going to hit 150ipm. The machine doesn’t have time to accelerate the Z to speed before it’s time to switch directions again. Going from the default setting of 118ipm to 150ipm only has minimal impact on the time most jobs take.

Hope that makes sense. With my settings, the Onefinity is only hitting the 150ipm on long sweeping Z moments…like a gentle bowl cut. On detailed items with lots of short z moves, speeds are much much lower.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips and reminders. I’m planning to start doing some tinkering with axis controls today (I’ll obviously archive original parameters for safety though). As Mitch and BJ have noted, I am aware that max jerk also plays into overall carve times as well and, on the whole, I don’t expect interaction to be linear through various g-file carves.

I’m pretty sure it will end up being a case of discovering individual safe ‘head room’ conditions for each project in the end.

1 Like