Max Z Travel & Max Density Tool Racks

With the PwnCNC ATC system, the tool racks and dust boot have to work together to allow you to maximize the number of tools you can access while also maximizing your usable Z travel. With only 160mm of possible travel, you want all of that to be above the wasteboard. These tool racks help you do that. They’ll pair perfectly with the upcoming ATC dust boot.

2 Likes

Hey Adam,

you’ve been hard at work making videos again!

I like that you describe the increase of spindle deflection when someone should slide the spinde too much downwards in the mount. However what you describe is the design error that let the Onefinity Z assembly differ from usual ones, that allow for the spindle mount to protrude downward much more, even down beyond the lower end of the Z rails. That is what is unfortunately impossible with the Onefinity Z assembly, and forces users to slide their spindle or router much lower into the mount, thereby increasing deflection. That is why, like Tom @TMToronto, replacing the complete Z assembly is at the top of my list. I’ll see if I can make the parts with the old Z assembly, Tom managed to do it. Thanks Tom :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think the slider design is a series of trade-offs. I have considered replacing mine as well. In my case it wasn’t to reduce deflection. I’m not noticing that deflection is a problem for me. With wood, my guess is that most people won’t notice problems with deflection on this machine.

I was prepping to replacing the Z-slider to get more travel. With the rotary mounted on top of the table, it’s a close call with one of the tools I need to use with the rotary. Now that I have the ATC actually installed and everything adjusted for maximum travel, I may not need to replace the slider after all.

Thanks for watching my videos! I need all the viewer hours I can get right now.

Adam

1 Like

Hey Adam,

At least not when they clamp the spindle at the height that you do, I would assume.

this could also be solved with a u-shaped base instead of a table top. That’s what I plan to weld, with the capability to mount workplates or wasteboards at different heights. And a rotary axis with workplates removed.

But the Z travel needs to be increased anyway.

Have you seen that on some gantry-type CNC machines, there is an additional axis in Z direction that moves the entire gantry up and down? This is a concept that I’d like.