Mortising bit for flattening

Hello I’m brand new to CNC Routing.
Just setup my 1F Wood worker and wanted to know if there’s anything wrong with surfacing my spoil board with a 3/4” Straight cut Mortising bit with my Makita router? Other than it will take longer than say a 1-1/4” surfacing bit.
I ask for 2 reasons, 1 I’ve read where some others on this forum have smoked their routers using the 1-1/4” surfacing bits with the Makita routers and 2, I live in Alaska and it’s difficult to find anything locally available other than the mortising bits.
Thanks in advance for any help you may give.

It is slow, but this is what I used as well for my journeyman x50. It took a long time, but I was in no hurry. I just worked on other projects in the shop while this made a lot of dust. If you have a MDF spoilboard, then just make sure you are protecting your lungs This stuff makes so much fine dust particles that irritate your lungs.

1 Like

Smoking the router surfacing is not likely with mdf but rather folks using them to flatten slabs of hardwood.

1 Like

I use a 1 1/4 surfacing bit but even on just MDF that router body gets really hot after a while. If I’m flattening I definitely keep an eye on it (but I do use it, including for some flattening, mostly just smaller flattening jobs)

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments, I value both!
Looks like I’ll be surfacing my 1F spoil board today with my 3/4” mortising bit…:+1:

1 Like

Can I ask what speed and feed you were running the 3/4” mortising straight cut bit to surface your waste board?
My feeds are defaulting to 40ipm taking 1.5 hours, I’d think I could bump those up a little…?

I think at the time I was running pretty slow… 50ipm probably. Depending on the depth of your cut you can likely run 70-80.