Multi-Color Drawing / Plotting

Long time DIY CNC hobbyist and I’ve had my Onefinity up and running for a couple weeks now. Mostly just to see if I can do it, I want to plot some huge wiring diagrams, so I’ve been playing with ways of attaching a bunch of clicky-top pens to the machine and bumping them into a fixed post to select which one to draw with. It’s still rough, but as of tonight, it is basically functional.

The plastic bits:

G-code generation library: (Handles the pen changes among other things not related to this projects)

Upcoming:

• Moving the fixed post to the right-side Y-rail to support multiple rows in the pen magazine as well as getting out of the way of homing.
  • Support for full-size (current are UltraFine) clicky-top Sharpies – will require rework of the magazine.
  • SVG support in pygdk…or figuring out how to inject pen changes into Inkscape’s gcode generation – haven’t played around with that at all yet.
5 Likes

That is an innovation use case for the 1F. Apart from the software, do you have any examples of the hardware side of this project that you could share? I would enjoy seeing any progress you have made.

The hardware consists of two pieces, both of which are designed in OpenSCAD:

Magazine that holds the pens:

Static arm/post for the clicky-tops to run into:
https://github.com/cilynx/onefinity/blob/main/Pen%20Plotter/Pen%20Changer.scad

(There are printable STLs in that directory as well)

In the current incarnation, the arm attaches to the left side of the X-rail and lines up with the outer row of pens in the magazine. You can access the leftmost three pens, but cannot currently access the far right slot due to the current post position at X=0 – you’d have to go to X=-15 or so to get that far right pen – easy enough to fix in a future incarnation of the arm.

You also have to home the machine before loading the pens or else the pens will crash into the post during the homing cycle.

Ultimately, I’ll be moving the arm/post to the front right Y-rail to address the homing issues as well as allowing addressing multiple rows of pens. My end goal is to be able to carry the 8-pack of UltraFine pens and 12-pack of markers at the same time – 5-rows of 4 pens in the magazine.

There are a bunch of short videos going over the hardware iterations here:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your work - I never would have found it otherwise. I very much like what you have designed - simple (not a negative comment on the work that has gone into it) and functional.

I have plans to design and cut parts that would benefit from assembly labels/codes, and this system would work well.

I am using the Masso G3 controller, which has several options to set up a variety of tool changers and configurations. I can see your hardware integrating easily with my controller - a good thing since software is not (yet?) a skill I have.

Thank you for the inspiration.

Simple is very much what I was going for. I’ve seen a lot of DIY changers with various holders and racks and things and I wanted to minimize the number of moving parts and opportunities for error.

I’m interested to see what you come up with for your application.

Got multi-row pen addressing working tonight:

5 Likes

…and finally drawing something worth looking at…

12 Likes

This is an awesome project!

Dan

This is absolutely amazing! Do you mind if we share this on our socials as well?

Be my guest! I’m loving the machine – it’s an awesome platform to build on. I just got my spindle in to start playing with what it was made to do and I’m rolling around ideas to do 3d-printing as well.

2 Likes

Mind blowing. Awesome work. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Finally got my Journeyman setup and also 3D Printer so would like to try this.
I did not find the double row pen holder on Thingiverse.

@cilynx It’s been a couple months since any activity in this thread. Are there newer
.STL files and what software are you using to draw with?

If you do not need to auto change between colours, I have created a 3D printed Sharpie Ultra Fine marker holder that attaches on the front of the 65mm mount. I just raise the Makita up higher in the mount when using the marker. I am happy to share the F360 file. It uses opposing magnets to create the pressure on the marking surface.

1 Like

I would love to see that. Can you share the file with me?

I would like to try that yes.

I was also looking at this one which is also a single pen design.

Here are some photos of the parts, and one of it mounted, to give an idea of its structure.
I originally designed it for the Fine Tip Sharpie, but with the added pieces shown it also works with the Extra Fine Tip - I wanted a thinner line option. The holes in the end cap, and in the ring that pushes onto the marker end closer to the magnets, I have left smaller so that they can be widened to suite your marker (looser/tighter as needed).
The magnets are just regular magnets from a set from HD - 18mm dia./5mm thick. There is room for three, but you only really need two for a reasonable marker pressure.
The max travel for the extra fine tip is about 5mm, a bit more for the fine tip, but this can vary depending on how many magnets are used, and if you use the small sleeve.
If still interested, I am happy to send the F360 files.

5 Likes

Sure, I’d like to print the pieces out and give it a try.

I have the magnetic mount for the J-Tech laser on my 65mm spindle
mount. Not sure your mounting bracket will work for that configuration.

Below you will find the following resources for my Sharpie marker 1F CNC drawing tool…

1. F360 files of the parts
  2. Screenshots of the F360 bodies
  3. A video of it drawing (Fine tip Sharpie using the holder that fits inside the 65mm mount)

IMPORTANT NOTES:

1. Depending on how the pieces are printed, some may fit tighter (use fine sandpaper) or looser (use a thin piece of tape)
  2. There are two available holders, one fits inside the 65mm mount, the other screws to the outside of the mount
  3. The top cap is held in place with a screw through the outside top wall. I did not create holes as I did not know what size screw I had/wanted to use. You will need to drill your own through hole to match the screw you wish to use
  4. The sleeve used for the Extra fine marker will determine how far it sticks out past the cap at the bottom, and it should be cut to length accordingly. I found ~1cm worked best for me.
  5. The bottom cap is not needed if using the Fine tip (fatter tip) Sharpie - it reduces the ‘play’ of the Extra fine tip marker
    **Please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions regarding assembly

Fine tip Sharpie drawing - using inside mount

4 Likes

Thanks. I’m going to try adapting the external mount
to work with the J-Tech Laser magnetic mount.

That mount uses two locating pins and a pair of
magnetics to hold the laser in place.

That is a great idea. If you like the functionality of my design, it might even be worth buying a second Jtech mount to dedicate to the marker - $14.99 is not a bad investment for the convenience of adding the drawing feature.