My CNC journey starts here I suppose

I enjoy woodworking, but I did come to some of the same conclusions as you about what I need to go along with my new Journeyman (currently using a Next Wave Piranha Fx). Btw, I went with a 64 x 44 Kreg table for my Journeyman and will build it this weekend.

One of the things we have planned is a move to a new home later this year as part of semi-retirement from my day job (software nerd for 35+ years). That will include a decent sized shed/barn, but is currently limited to 1/2 of a two car garage. We bought a trailer to keep a couple tools and the riding mower in, so I could make room for the Journeyman. As I was moving everything around, I realized I was moving a lot of my rarely used woodworking tools into the trailer. I kept the 14" bandsaw and 12" drum sander in the garage, but the router table, jointer, planer and table saw went in the trailer. It was definitely interesting to see how my mindset has changed with a CNC in the garage.

1 Like

I had never planned to touch any wood other than to build the enclosure. I’m a car guy that builds car things and toy car parts. :rofl: I should have known better. For some reason though, I had myself convinced I would build this really nice enclosure. The reality is, there isn’t a flat space on my garage floor large enough or flat enough to build anything…the garage floor is cracked in multiple places and is everything BUT flat. And now that I have all these damn woodworking tools, there isn’t room to build anything if I wanted to.

I did find a nice 4’x4’ table locally the other day for $50…a heavy duty coffee table basically. I think it’ll do the trick for now if I throw a sheet of plywood on top so I don’t tear it up too bad. At least until we can get out of this place and I have more space. I’m curious about this Kreg table kit you bought though. Google came up with all kinds of pocket jigs and stuff, more woodworking crap I don’t need/want (:rofl:), but nothing about a table. Even when searching for “64x44 Kreg Table.”

As the saying goes, the show must go on…

Here are a few pics of some of the RC products I have been working on. These are a heavy duty replacement axle housing for the Axial SCX10-III with a “fabricated” style center section and dropout 3rd member…with some custom options. I have these printed by Shapeways from nylon using their SLS process. The Onefinity was purchased to cut 2d parts from flat stock…aluminum, carbon fiber, G10 (fiberglass), delrin (acetal), and lexan (polycarbonate). When I get more into chassis parts, electronics mounts, and brackets…that’s where the 1F gets put to work.

Front Axles, left and right side drop units:

Rear Axle:

2 Likes

Those are some nice models, Brian. I’d love to see how they turn out.

For Kreg, here’s the link - Bench Systems | Kreg Tool

I ended up buying it from PeachTree USA - Kreg Universal Bench System.

It came through shipping in excellent condition and went together with no issues. I’ll probably be buying a couple more for other tools in the future.

1 Like

And there’s a new topic discussing this table in the forum: Kreg 44x64-in table & Journeyman X-50 & MDF

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll check those out.

The axle models were uploaded to Shapeways yesterday and are in the process of being printed now. I’ll upload some pics of the completed prototype axles after the parts get here and I can build them up.

1 Like

Hey Brian, cool design!
I know you are holding off on building the cabinet, however, I’m curious to know if your design is for sale. Typically, when I see something I like, I just build it. Unfortunately, this usually takes twice the time. I’m looking to start designing furniture and other projects so, what software are you using to design?

I don’t know that the enclosure model is actually complete enough to share. I need to redraw it with some changes and haven’t done it. May never get around to it now. Sorry man.

I use Autodesk Fusion 360.

Can I ask … how do you properly calibrate a 3D printer? I just purchased my first ever Ender 3D s1 and am gradually making adjustments to print better, but this is my first ever. I am going to eventually print the end caps and wipers for my woodworker as well. :grin:

There is a lot to do when it comes to dialing in your printer…

Start with these basics:

1. Check frame for squareness, loose bolts, loose connections…
  2. Calibrate XY and E steps
  3. Tune hotend/bed PID
  4. Level/tram bed
  5. Tune Z-probe offset
  6. Tune flow rate

Each of these things are really easy to do and will save you a ton of problems and print issues down the road. Look up each step one-by-one and you will find plenty of videos/articles on how to do it.

As the S1 is a relatively new printer, just search up “how to… Ender 3” rather than S1.

After that, start looking into slicer settings. I recommend trying out a couple different slicers before you get set on one. I started off with Cura, but recently switched to SuperSlicer and love it!

1 Like