My CNC journey starts here I suppose

Starting to fill some gaps in the enclosure model. Front doors will each be hinged for day to day use. The side windows, frame and window as one piece, are not hinged but are removable and replaceable. They will use a latch similar to a canopy for a truck bed…a claw of sorts at each corner that swings around grabbing the enclosure exterior wall. Should take about 30 seconds to get the side windows in and out for ball screw cleaning or whatever.

Time to doodle up some hinges for the front doors, handles for all the hinged doors, latches for the side doors, a magnetic setup to keep all the doors closed, and some intake and exhaust baffles with gauze filters. Most of those parts will likely be 3D printed. All of the doors and windows can be cut with the Onefinity. And everything else can be cut with very basic table saw knowledge…and patience in my case.

1 Like

That is looking good Brian!

1 Like

A little more progress. Not much but it’s something. :man_shrugging:

3D printed handles all around, windows thickened up to 1/4", and some cheap leveling feet…5/8" tee nuts and 5/8" carriage bolts. Not sure if the leveling feet will stay, but that’s what I’m starting with. Fusion 360 estimates the enclosure weight at just under 735lb at this point. :woozy_face:

1 Like

Brian,
You might consider these ratcheting casters for your cabinet. The pads ratchet down so the table is both solidly positioned and can adjust for an uneven floor. When needed, you can ratchet them back up and reposition the enclosure for ease of maintenance. All this for only about $15 a wheel (at Amazon).

1 Like

Appreciate the input. Unfortunately, because of other constraints, those units won’t work. My enclosure has to sit under an HVAC vent running through my garage ceiling, so it can’t be any taller. And if I start taking that height out of the other sections I start losing space to grow with quickly. So far it looks like the enclosure will be basically built in place and stationary until we move anyway. My garage floor is no place to be rolling around precision equipment any more than absolutely necessary. Hopefully only on the way out the door.

A few of the Route 1 drag chain parts I never posted. The largest piece has to be printed again. For whatever reason, the printer powered itself down about 75% of the way through the print.

These are printed in Overture PLA Plus in Digital Blue. They look pretty good really. But the printer still needs some tuning. And we’ll obviously need to track down and fix a power supply issue.

1 Like

Ok, just gotta say, that’s beautiful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. I think. :rofl: As stated earlier in this thread, I’m a car guy and have no idea what I’m doing with wood. I just keep changing things as I discover they aren’t right. Today I learned, maybe I should actually use nice plywood instead of MDF. Apparently MDF is a real PITA to make edge joints with. Especially with screws. And due to my lack of patience for miters, there are a LOT of edge joints.

For any of you guys building enclosures or playing with acrylic/plexiglass, check your local plastic supplier before hitting the box stores.

Home Depot and Lowes both wanted $189 for a 4x8 sheet of .220" extruded acrylic. The local plastic supplier has a warehouse backstock of 8,000 4x11 extruded sheets that they’re selling for $139/each. I walked out the door with all 4 of my windows cut to size AND a giant leftover sheet for $150. $11 to cut them for me. And it still cost me less than the “big guys.”

Also picked up 8 sheets of 3/4" (really 18mm) Sande ply for $64.88 each. As planned before, the door and window frames will likely still be milled from MDF on the Onefinity.

The time has come fellas…time to make a mess and see what kind of cabinet maker I’m not. :rofl:

3 Likes

Brian, Confirmat screws will get the job done with MDF.

1 Like

Thank you, sir. Will keep that in mind. I do have some MDF projects planned for the future. :wink:

sid-toy

2 Likes

I did run into an issue with a bent 65mm mount. Looks like it got squished somehow. But the Onefinity customer service team is ON IT! It was only two emails and about 15 minutes before I had a USPS tracking number for a new mount.

Thank you guys for the killer machine and customer service!

My 80mm mount and spindle are already installed and the 80mm unit is in perfect shape. I’m honestly blown away by this machine. And the experience as a whole.

2 Likes

Glad we could help! Have fun!

2 Likes

Started finally cutting parts for my cross cut sled. So I can FINALLY start cutting enclosure parts. Have spent the better part of the last month just waiting for tools to ship. But Onefinity can get me 3 50lb boxes from Canada in 4 days?!?

Anywho, on with the chaos…

Cut my sled rails, cut the sled base, and cut and laminated the front and rear fences for the sled. Tomorrow when the glue dries I’ll start assembling the sled. Nothing but cheap plywood, no intricate or elaborate plan, no crazy measurements, just keeping things square and letting it evolve. :metal:

1 Like

For you guys wondering about Onefinity service or on the fence because of the VERY few negative reports you’ve found…

I contacted them about the bent 65mm mount on Thursday (3/31/2022). By Saturday morning (4/2/2022) the new mount was in my mailbox with a return shipping label already in the box. As simple as open the box, drool over the new mount, drop the bent one in the same box, seal it up, put the new label on, and wait until Monday (today) to drop it back in the mailbox.

I gotta say, the few posts I’ve seen about slow or poor customer service are starting to seem like they’re from the “ya can’t please everyone” crowd. Well done Onefinity. :clap:

7 Likes

Cross cut sled is finally done. Time to start cutting materials…finally. Assuming nothing else comes up or I don’t discover something else I need or have to have.

But, now the real headache…finding somebody to lend a hand that has the common sense to hold a sheet of plywood without making things worse. THAT seems to be the real battle. :man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

To add to the list of things that you don’t know you need - a track saw makes working with sheet goods solo much easier than breaking them down on a table saw :wink:

2 Likes

I’m considering picking one up actually. But I just keep going deeper and deeper down this rabbit hole. And I really dislike working with wood. :rofl:

The rabbit hole got too deep and life is too damn short. Returning what I can today and just going to buy a table to put the 1F on so I can get it operational for now. The table saw will likely be sold today as a dialed in and complete setup. Anything left will be recycled into other projects.

As stated MANY times in this thread, I hate working with wood. And I’m $1500 into wood working tools and supplies I never even wanted. Will revisit the enclosure when I can. Or maybe when I have a flat space large enough and flat enough to build something square enough to be worthy of the 1F.

Disgusted and sick to my stomach at this point. A whole lot of money and time down the drain, which took me in a direction I never wanted to go.

Flat out and straight up, I’m not a woodworker. I never wanted to be, and I don’t care to try again.

Learn from my mistakes fellas. If you know you’re not the woodworker type, don’t try to convince yourself you are. :facepunch:

1 Like