New to CNC, looking for advice Spindle vs Router

Waiting on my machine and debating spindle vs router. 1F have made it very clear they don’t support a spindle, and have advised me to come to this forum for help.

What ever I do, machine, software, bits, etc etc is all new to me so everything is a learning curve. While the 1F is designed for the Makita router my preference would be a spindle.
I’ve ordered the Journeyman X 50 and my question is how does the 1F handle the extra weight of a spindle, is there any significant deflection from the Z axis due to the extra weight? Can the Nema 23 stepper handle it?

As there are a lot of people using a spindle I’m guessing my concerns are moot, so just looking for confirmation that the spindle route is ok to go and the J50 can handle it.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Marc,

it’s true what they advised you, these were frequently asked questions here.
Do you see the search functionality on the top right of the page?
Entering “spindle” there may lead you to e. g.:

Spindle Information
All your 80mm Spindle questions in THIS thread
80mm spindle and VFD choices
Upgrading stepper motor for 80mm Spindle
Water cooled spindle

1 Like

Thanks the the advice

If you’re just learning why not just go with the Makita and learn the machine and its capabilities before you invest in a spindle. Don’t add to the learning curve anymore than you have to. With experience you will be better able to choose the spindle best suited for your situation. Besides, the Makita makes an excellent trim router if you decide to change out for a spindle later on.

2 Likes

Alden, thanks for the advice. I understand it’ll add to the learning curve, but I want to control it all from the software. I’ve been a woodworker for many years, so last thing I need is another router lol.
But sound advice, thank you. I understand the principles having been using 3D printers for a few years now, but CNC is a different discipline. I have time to decide what I will eventually do as the machine isn’t going to be here till late October, assuming the delivery dates are true.

I was completely new to CNC, and jumped right in with having a spindle on day one - so it is possible! The wiring and technical setup were a little tricky - but not terrible. When I purchased the 1F the 65mm holder was the only one available, so that made it easier. Now that an 80mm version is available (as an add-on), figuring out the right path is a little harder.

You’ll have no issues with the 1F working well with a spindle. The 1F is easily capable of running with the additional weight of a large spindle.

2 Likes

Mike. Thanks for the reply.

Starting with a spindle isn’t that hard. That’s what I did and I have yet to connect the controller to the VFD. I just have the VFD’s control pad located next to my monitor. When I’m ready to start running a program I turn on and set the speed of the spindle. The biggest disadvantage is that once the program ends the spindle will stay running but I keep a close eye on the 1f as it runs so it’s not much of an issue. Sooner or later I’ll get around to it but I’m going to have the controller shut off the dust collector too. I just haven’t wired up the relays yet.

2 Likes

When you get to the place of having your spindle and VFD set up and working well, it’s a thing of joy and beauty to behold.

You need to be ready to get through the learning curve of connecting and setting up the Spindle, VFD and software to all play nice together, and how difficult that is depends on your experience and approach. Some find it easy, some more challenging. There are lots of resources around here for the how to.

My first experiences with VFDs a few years back (setting up a South Bend Lathe and a full size mill) were a pain, but there are a lot more resources now than then (or I am better at googling them). I’m a fan of “Go for it!” in this case.

Good luck!