80mm spindle and VFD choices

With the upcoming 80mm spindle mount I’m starting to look at options.

First, I hope OneFinity has one to go along with the mount. I’d love to buy everything from one vendor. It would be even more beneficial with spindle, VFD, and cooling wiring. In an ideal world, I’d be able to order one so completely integrated, speed control was done on the touchscreen. :slight_smile:

I know there are many on Amazon and eBay. However, the lack of support is not desirable.

This one looks nice - https://buildyourcnc.com/SpindlesAndAccessories.aspx, they even have a closed cooling system (although the hoses look too short for a 1f setup) - https://buildyourcnc.com/item/pneumatic-hydraulic-spindle-inverter-cooling-water-pump-reservoir-fan-radiator-g14fittings-silicone-tubing

What other options should I be considering? I think the 1f is a high-quality machine and I don’t want a cheap spindle that causes me grief.

1 Like

I ordered this one. Hopefully it’s not going to be too much trouble. My plan is to use a 5 gallon bucket for the reservoir with a screw on cover. I’ll put it below the table out of the way. Corrosion resistant brake line isn’t very expensive so I figured I would use that to go from the bucket to where I want the hose to start.

If you don’t have 220V in the shop is it worth getting an 80mm spindle or just go with a 65mm spindle instead?

keep us posted. wonder if I can order a different pump.

2 gallon bucket is plenty and will save you a bunch of space.

Depends on your budget. Mechatron has some premium spindles out of Germany, even high end ATC spindles but those will break my budget.

Interesting question, can what amperage is required for a 110V circuit that is powering a VFD running a 2.2KW spindle?

I would think you need a 20 amp breaker right

I guess in theory you could run a 2.2kw spindle on a 120v 20 amp circuit but that would be it. You would need a second circuit for everything else. Even a 1.5kw spindle would be pushing the limits if you only had one 120v 20 amp outlet. Then there’s dust collection. A large shop vac could use as much as 12 amps.

I believe a 2.2kw VFD at 110v will draw 20-21A at full power. Look on eBay or something to see a nameplate and amperage rating on a 2.2kw VFD.

I ordered the Huanyang 220v 4kw VFD and the Huanyang 2.2kw spindle.

I’m struggling with the same choices. Do I really need 2.2kw 80mm. Or do I get the 110v 1.5kw 65mm? Ohms law is — Watts / Volts = Amps. So a 1.5kw is — 1,500 watts / 120volts = 12.5 Amps

I really think I’m going 1.5kw 110v … but I have time so I’ll wait on more feedback.

Yeah that’s been my thinking. Either I go with a 65mm spindle 1.5kw or I run wire to the shop my machine is in to have 220v. Or I guess third option is put it in my other shop that has 220 already but it’s quite far from my house so I’d rather not have it that far away.

1 Like

I think the 80mm spindle is most likely overkill for most people. I have a number of 1/2" router bits so it makes sense for me. Plus I would like to make a vacuum clamp so I can make raised panels. Raised panel bits are almost always 1/2". I’m thinking with the 1f I should be able to take very small bites yet have it move at a fast enough pace so it doesn’t burn the wood. With my router table I end up taking too much off in one pass and having the wood splinter.

3 Likes

This is an option instead of running a 220 line

https://www.amazon.com/Rockstone-2000-Watt-Transformer-Converter/dp/B00CLYFNU0/ref=sr_1_3?crid=XWU04HACY8W&dchild=1&keywords=110v+to+220v+converter&qid=1622051796&sprefix=110%2Caps%2C216&sr=8-3

1 Like

@Dr-Al I have also been wondering about how powerful a spindle we need. I understand your issue with raised panels but I would only be doing pocketing, contouring and carving of hobby woodworking projects. My main interest in a spindle is for noise reduction.

Also, what is the difference to a hobbyist between an air and water-cooled spindle? I don’t see myself doing 3D relief carving and it’ll likely see 50-100 hours per year.

Nice I will keep that in mind. I think I’m just going to such with the router until it bites the dust then I’ll look into spindles

The problem with a transformer is that you can’t increase the amps. So if you have a 20 amp 120v circuit you can only get 10 amps at 240 volts from that circuit (assuming no losses).

1 Like

Well I pulled the trigger on a 65mm 1,500 watt 110v water cooled … now I have 2 months to study and learn. The motor feels beefy, I’m not sure I want an 80mm. I think I made the right choice for me.

2 Likes

Rhoffart,

Where did you get your vfd and spindle do you have link?