220v vs. 110v Spindle?

I’m considering upgrading to an 80mm spindle. It looks like I have options between 220v and 110 v. Is there any advantage to 220? I can do the wiring if there is a good reason to but I hate to go to that trouble if it really doesn’t make any difference.

Just a reminder to those who go the spindle route, Onefinity will not provide any technical support and does not support spindles. They are a ‘use at your own risk’ item.

The main reason in moving to an 80mm mount would be to use a 2.2kw spindle which if you do the math on a 110v circuit at max load would consume all available current from a 20A circuit. It is highly unlikely you will draw max load with the spindle, however it is possible. A 2.2kW spindle would roughly equate to a 3HP router and for comparison I own a “5 HP” nameplate compressor that runs fine on a 20A 110v circuit. All that being said, If you have the ability to install and utilize 220v I would.

That’s exactly what I was hoping to learn, thank you!

The 65mm mount is not set up for some spindles (the spindle will hit the stepper motor) so switching to the 80mm has the advantage that it was designed for a spindle. Unless you are going to use large bits the 2.2kW spindle really isn’t going to buy you much. A 1.5kW spindle most likely is all you will need and will run much better on 120v than a 2.2kW would. I would suggest you think about what you would like to do with the 1F so you can figure out what bits you will want to use and then decide what size (HP) spindle would work. Think about this. Most people are using a Makita trim router that has half the power of a 1.5kW spindle.

1 Like

There are 2 different voltages to pay attention to. Most spindles are 220v - the 3-phase circuit between the VFD and the spindle is at 220v. I have seen some 110v spindles, but 220v is more common The voltage between the wall outlet and your VFD can be a different voltage - as long as you get a VFD that supports the configuration.

I started out with running 110v to the VFD, and then a 220v 800w spindle behind the VFD. Now, I have 220v on either side of the VFD, and a 2.2kw 220v spindle.

A lower voltage will mean a higher current draw for the same power output. If you’re going up to the 80mm size, you can find both 2.2kw and 1.5kw spindles in that size. For a 2.2kw spindle, I really think 220v to the VFD makes the most sense - you would be very close to the max amp rating on your circuit if you stayed at 110v.

As long as you match the input voltage to the VFD’s capabilities, and supply enough current for the load, you won’t be able to tell the difference in how the spindle performs.

2 Likes