New to Vcarve Software

I am new to this software, VCarve Desktop. I want to create this sign. I want the letters and the camper at 0 depth (material surface), the trees about .2 in lower than the camper, and the rest of the space outside to be carved at .4 in below the surface. then I want to vcarve the lines on the camper to .1 depth.

I’m stumped on how to lay this out. I have watched many stacked text videos and can’t seem to get this design set up.

Thanks for any advice.


Try this one. I tend to like this guys videos… does a good job of explaining multiple layers and the use of the weld function… Use your tree as the lowest layer and then the top layer as the all with the trailer and forest welded… I think that is what you are looking for…


thank you!! He explained it WAY better than the others I watched. It is still quite the process.

1 Like

Here is a different way of doing stacked letters. Pretty straightforward

1 Like

I recommend purchasing a training course, around $200.00 for about 24+ hours of training by Learn Your CNC by Kyle Ely. This is dedicated to all Vetric products only, VCarve Desktop, VCarve Pro, and Aspire. Best money I ever spent educating myself with the CNC journey! I wish I would have done this BEFORE attempting to create a single project. This would have saved many headaches, discarded materials, and retarded carve times. Check his website out and make your own decision if it’s a fit for you and worth the investment. Hands down, I’d recommend this course to all getting into CNC with minimal experience. What I found was, the mechanical part of the machine is roughly 20% of the overall experience, and the other 80% is mastering the software. It will take me years, using everyday, to fluidly remember all the capabilities of the software, and keyboards shortcuts to improve efficiency. If you’re a Vetric product user, this is definitely worth a look and consideration!

1 Like

And practice with one tool for an hour every day for a week, making the same thing over and over and over, starting from scratch every time, but trying things a different way, i.e., make a square from left to right or right to left. Work on resizing it, moving it, etc. And every week add a new tool to your routine, By the end of 1 year, you’ll have mastered 52 tools. And learn your shortcut keys, that’s what makes you a real expert. And before you realize it, you’ll be a master designer!

1 Like

Kyle is great straight forward and clear. No sales pitch or fluff.

Gerald, there are probably several different ways to achieve what you are trying to do, stacked text method being the easiest. But here is an alternative:

  1. V-Carve the trailer at the .1 flat depth. This would keep your trailer at 0 base height, with the lines carved at .1
  2. Using the Trailer, Text, and outer boundary offsets, pocket the remaining at .2 flat depth (using the TBN bit, the sharpest angel you have with appropriate clearing endmill). This would give the trees .2 inch of depth, while keeping the text and trailer at 0.
  3. Finally, selecting the offsets of text, trees, outer boundary, and trailer, I would pocket the remaining with the start depth of .2 and end depth of .2, giving a total depth of .4 to all vectors, again keeping the trailer and text at 0, trees at .2, and remaining cleared at .4.

Having said that, you would have to adjust your tree line where it is touching the trailer to stay above the trailer by maybe .001… Again, there are various ways, Happy Experimenting.

1 Like