Onefinity dust boot voltage fix!

@anon93936469:
I was thinking something similar to your thoughts too, unless there is something unique that is not shown in the pictures.

@amsteelle:
I couldn’t understand how the router’s housing (aluminum?) was grounded and permitted the alleged static electricity to be discharge through acrylic and PVC. This could be proven with an ohm meter checking two points beyond the crimp terminals. This would measure the complete pathway of continuity beyond the wire and not just the wire itself (the router housing and the opposite end of the flex hose), which I suspect wasn’t actually checked. No offense is implied here. I just used to work on electrical systems that measured capacitance in pico farads (super small).

This is just a hunch, but I believe that two different issues have combined to create the problem that was reported.

These two things together would be “electrostatic induction.”

I have a hunch that there is static electricity building up from the non-grounded dust collection system. I then suspect that induction is causing the voltage warning that you described. All through the forum I have read that the cables are not shielded and that they are sensitive to EMI which leads me to believe that they would also be susceptible to electrostatic induction. What I don’t know is exactly how sensitive the system is and how much voltage was building up; voltage will eventually find a more negative pathway.

The best thing I can think of is that the cabling has a physical issue or that because of what I suggested above, the cable should be shielded. I don’t claim to know exactly what’s wrong. I’m just remembering some basics that I learned with electrical theory and also remembering discussions of EMI here in the forums (over 50 results in that search link).

Curve ball:
Unless you used a transparent version of conductive paint, I think the above is true. BTW, I figured that there would be a few people here that might find a use for this with other projects.

1 Like