Power supply and unused vac and router plugs

I am using a 2.2kw spindle so cannot use the router plug in the back of the Elite power supply. I also use a whole shop 4" vacuum system so cannot use the vac plug as well. What I do wonder is why cannot I used these plugs for the small water pump for my spindle and perhaps a halo light for the spindle? Can I use these plugs for this?

Hey Scott,

electrically, the sockets of Elite power supply for the router or the workshop vacuum cleaner can of course switch and provide power for such a pump.

If you use the socket that is meant for the router, the spindle coolant pump will run as long the spindle run command (M3) is active and be stopped when the spindle stop command (M5) is encountered.

Usually spindle coolant has to run when spindle runs (otherwise you risk damaging the spindle), so it should be triggered either by the VFD when the VFD is in RUN state, or with M3 (milling motor on) command (see router socket above). But usually you want the spindle coolant to flow when the spindle runs and when its water is warm or hot, and the water is still warm or hot after the spindle was stopped.

If you switch the spindle coolant pump by the socket that is meant for the dust collector, because of the way this relay is programmed on the Onefinity version of the Masso controller, it uses M8 (workpiece flood coolant on) command to switch it on, which is used for milling metals with lubricant nozzles. If you use this socket, you’ll have to tune your g-code program or your postprocessor to include such a M8 command.

You can, however, program the masso so that any of the relays is triggered on other events than M3 or M8. See Masso Documentation.

But usually when you use a VFD, it’s the VFD’s programmable control outputs that control the relay for the spindle coolant pump. This is because it is the VFD that is responsible for the spindle and it also reads the temperature sensor of the spindle coolant and prevents damage by triggering an error condition if there is something wrong with the spindle. Also it can be programmed to do useful things like letting the coolant flow for a certain delay after the spindle was stopped. A VFD often also switches dust collection on an off through a second relay.

3 Likes

Thank you very much! Good information!