Probe X and Y with 425-DNC062

I can’t figure out how to probe X and Y with this 1/16" bit and the probe. After setting Z, the bit lowers down so far that the ferrule hits the probe block. It’s diameter is larger than the cutting edge.

Is there a way to set how far a bit plunges when probing X and Y? Obviously, since it sets Z first, it doesn’t make any difference where it’s placed in the collet.

I don’t use the probe very often, but I had a unique use case and figured it would be the best solution. If the depth can’t be set on the plunge for probing X and Y, I guess it’s not possible to use the probe with bits that have a really short cutting depth. This one from Bits and Bits (that I bought from Onefinity) has a 3/16th cutting depth.

Hey Loopback77,

you don’t have to use your special bit to probe X and Y. Just use any straight flute endmill, do “Probe XYZ” and enter the diameter of that endmill when asked, and after probing XYZ, then re-probe only Z with your special bit, as explained in this video.

Already answered once today :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I use the probe for X and Y so rarely that I never considered I’d need to use a particular bit shape and size to do so successfully. I read your response to the person who posted on the thread from July 2021 earlier today. They had the same concern, just on the opposite end of the spectrum (their choice of bit was too big to set accurate X and Y position). I’m sure that it’s in the documentation from Onefinity somewhere to only use a specific range of bit diameters and lengths to set X and Y while using the probe. I must have missed it.

Hey Loopback77,

it’s not all in written form, it’s in this Support video and in This one too.

Bits _incompatible_with_Touch_probe

1 Like