QCW Frame rigidity

Hey BJ,

did you check it on your QCW frame? If you do get twist then, @woodsmoke will still get twist when moving the table around on the floor not being flat, and then you still need to provide a rigid machine base. I find it important to remember that Onefinity CNC is sold without one. Before release of QCW Frame there was simply none offered with it, and since release I was not yet able to check QCW Frame, thus my question. It makes a difference if QCW Frame is the rigid machine base that was missing on the Onefinity CNC or if it is just a wasteboard holder.

It is important to understand that surfacing the wasteboard or the table top with a surfacing bit is in no case able to provide coplanarity of the surface (i.e. removing twist). On a table where one foot of the machine is not in the same plane than the three others, every workpiece that you work on will result in having a twisted surface, even when your check for rectangularity of router axle to table top shows a perfect right angle. The problem is, if you move your swinging arm with the dial gauge to front and back and it shows perfect right angles on the right end of X travel, and with the gantry slid to left end of X travel it shows perfect rectangularity to front and back on this end too, still the table can be twisted and both Y rails not in one plane (not coplanar). On such a table, every workpiece you produce will be twisted, and surfacing will not change anything on this.

This is why I pledge to always do at least the fishing line test over the top rails.

2 Likes