QCW Mounting and use Questions

Just purchased my Onefinity and I’m trying to decide how I’m going to set up my table. I’ve been thinking about getting a QCW to attach it to. I’ve looked through the instructions, how does the QCW attach to your table? Am I missing it in the instructions and videos? For the guys that have gone that route do would you buy the QCW again, or just mount the 1F to your table and make your own spoilboard and T-tracks?

Thanks,

Doug

My QCW just sits on the surface and it not screwed down. I wouldn’t buy the QCW for just the T-tracks again because I prefer threaded inserts for clamps over T-tracks. I made a double thick wasteboard that covers the tracks and only use threaded inserts now.

1 Like

Steve,
If you had to is there a way you would attach it to your table? If I can’t attach it to a table it wouldn’t be worth it for me.

Thanks

I could install a long screw into the table inplace of a bolt on each if the corners. The machine is hevy. It isnt going to slide around in you or move without a lot of effort.

1 Like

Hey Doug,

the advantage of the QCW frame is that it includes the Any Surface Leveling Feet which allows to adjust coplanarity of the machine. If you bolt it down to a tabletop, you cannot use this feature anymore.

Setting Rectangularity and Coplanarity of a gantry-type CNC machine is important, otherwise all your workpieces may result in having no right angles (being a parallelogram instead of being a rectangle) and not being flat (but twisted).

Before such a machine is ready to use, it is therefore necessary to make sure it is 1. rectangular (“squared”) (bar gauge) and 2. coplanar (“not twisted”) (fishing line method).

Surfacing the wasteboard does help nothing if the machine is not accurately rectangular (“squared”) and coplanar (not twisted). All your workpieces including the wasteboard will remain a parallelogram and have a twisted surface if you didn’t ensure that steps 1 and 2 are done accurately.

Furthermore, if rectangularity and coplanarity are not perfect, the Y movement can block or have “hiccups”.

You may however use other methods to ensure coplanarity, e.g. height-adjustable casters on your table’s feet.

The QCW Frame has some disadvantages though. It is rather expensive and reduces the X/Y workarea because there is an area at the front where there are not wasteboard slats. At home position (X=0, Y=0) there is no wasteboard under the milling bit.