Recipe for Creating V-Carve Inlays in Fusion 360

Essentially all you do is create a sketch (square or whatever shape you’re planning on carving on), finish sketch and extrude to what you want the final thickness of the work piece (mine was 1/4”) then go back to your sketch and create a text box on the face, write your text, close sketch, extrude the text to whatever dimension you want it at (again mine was a 1/4”). Start new sketch create your 2nd text box and place it where you want it, write your text, finish sketch. Extrude the 2nd text higher or lower depending on what you’re going for. The last step is select both text you extruded and combine those text. Then you’re ready to do your tool paths.

3 Likes

Thanks for that. I wasn’t very clear that the toolpaths is where I’m struggling, not the modeling.

Oh okay. I use 2D adaptive clearing tool paths, but I believe it can be done all at once with a 3D adaptive clearing tool path. Just make sure you select the bottom geometry of the text.

Is your model all one body? I think part of the issue I was having is that my layers/levels of text were separate bodies. When I did the 2D toolpaths on one layer of text it cut right through the higher layer.

Yes it is. That’s why you have to combine the two texts together so it becomes one body essentially.

2 Likes

I understand now. I’ll give it a try this weekend.

Thanks!

No problem! If you need a hand we can setup a video chat or something and I can walk you through it.

2 Likes

Jarod - is that carved with a straight bit (not a v-bit)? What you’ve done looks great - but I think we’re all scratching our heads trying to figure out how to do this (in Fusion 360) with a combination of a v-bit for tapered verticals and a spiral endmill for the roughing pass.

Basically, this: https://youtu.be/RHFiaUhQLqc

It was fairly easy in Carveco Maker, but that’s not free. It’s incredibly easy with Carbide Create, but that doesn’t export g-code that works with the Onefinity.

I don’t understand. Carbide Create is all I use and I have no problems making anything. Hmmmmm, scratching my head.

1 Like

I’m aware Carbide Create can do multiple tool paths. But are you saying you have successfully used Carbide Create to export g-code for their “Advanced VCarve” function (which creates one .nc file), and the Onefinity can interpret the pause in the file to prompt you for a tool change so you can switch from the pocketing tool to the v-bit?

Here’s a couple of posts where I show some of the stuff I was trying to accomplish. One is a brass stamp for my leather business - the stamp needs tapered sides for durability, and flat bottoms to minimize carving depth. I ended up sending the artwork out and having the stamp milled for me.

The other was a wooden address sign I made for my sister.

If you can describe how to (easily) do both with Carbide Create, I’m all ears!

This was my practice one so it was all done with a spiral downcut bit.

The one I just posted was a mix of a spiral downcut bit and a v-bit

1 Like

Basically the way to do it in fusion is to create a 2D pocket toolpath for the larger areas that need to be cleared out. Then you come back and use the trace engrave toolpath for your v-bit and it will go along the lines of the piece to create the tapered walls.

3 Likes

This was all done with a straight bit. In order to do it with a v-bit I would check the stock to leave box and leave a certain amount of stock and then come back and use rest machining with a v-bit to carve away the remaining stock left by the end mill.

1 Like

Hi @chips I have a question for you. I’ve been walking through the same setup you have used and have been running into a problem and wondering if you might be able to help me.

I can get all the way down to Operation 4 and keep running into an issue with the 2D Pocket. It gets stuck at 9% then will say “out of RAM” or will crash my entire computer.

For the inlay, I’m using this v-bit here https://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/products/1550?_pos=3&_sid=5991b3153&_ss=r

I’m not able to generate g-code with that bit, but if I switch to another bit it works. I’m assuming this might be the issue and I need a different bit.

Instead of doing a 2D Pocket, could one use the Engrave command and get the same results?

I tired it with another V Bit and still got similar results. Seems the 2D Pocket command doesn’t like V Bit’s in general.

I had similar issues with Fusion 360 bogging down on complicated cuts.

First off, apologies to anyone who has been waiting on a response from me. Over the last several months I have moved to another state, bought a house that needs an extensive remodel, had contractor issues, and have been battling some eye issues that have resulted in four surgeries. The last of these (I hope) is tomorrow.

The good news is that we’re in a much better place. My real computer will be out of storage soon and the new house has room for me to set up a OneFinity and hopefully I will be able to see to use it.

In the mean time, please be kind. I’m working from memory and am not able to test my answers on a working setup. This laptop has degraded to the point that it won’t even run Fusion anymore.:frowning:

Now, on to the questions.

@many: No, the Fusion folks do not have the APIs posted yet that I need to finish the script for V-Carve Inlays. At least not the last time I checked.

@BertDuncan: Fusion uses a lot of memory, but I don’t think that’s the problem. The real problem is the bit definition. If the tip of the v-bit is defined as zero or very small, then using it to clear out any sized space will result in a path that is close to infinite. (think zero step-over) So eventually the computer runs out of memory trying to generate it. You could try defining your bit with a larger tip size. Honestly I can’t remember what I used but it was probably between 0.1 and 0.5mm.

When generating my script, I did try using Engrave, but I was never able to get it to deal with the offset correctly.

@many; To those who have pointed out that other programs will do V-Carve Inlays without any hassle: You are absolutely right. Some of us are just fixated on doing things in Fusion even though in this case it’s harder. As it’s name implies, the program mashes together many different engineering tasks. And once you’ve paid the intellectual price for learning it, you’d like to use it as your one-tool-fits-all solution. For those who are smarter, less stubborn, or just haven’t sipped this particular Kool-Aid, feel free to (gently) snicker at those of us who have.

Surgery is tomorrow. Say a prayer, knock on wood, cross your fingers, and stroke your lucky rabbit’s foot for me.

Hopefully I will start being more active here soon.

My best to everyone. Thanks for your interest.

• Chip
1 Like

Hope all goes well for you, Chip.

I’ve been doing inlays with Fusion using pockets vs V-carves. For most of them I’ve just used a 1/8" end mill and then a 1/16" or 1mm using rest machining. I’ve found it easier in Fusion but I did have to play with figuring out how to set the “stock remaining” to get the pieces to fit snugly but not require much work.

Thank you, that was the problem!

One other question for something I’m running into.

Is this processes limited by size of objects?

Above, the female part looks like it cuts out well

However, the male part looks like it wouldn’t fit.

The text is 1" tall and the cut depth is .2" Which is what I’m assuming the problem is.

Hope your surgery goes well and prayers for for a rapid recovery.