Recipe for Creating V-Carve Inlays in Fusion 360

@chips Regarding your script, what are the odds of just prompting the user for the needed info instead of trying to pull it from the tool database?

I have been searching for ways to do VCarve Inlay with Fusion 360 and stumbled upon this thread. I thought I would contribute what I have come up with…

Firstly, to deal with the Rest Machining problem that @chips mentions above, I decided that its possible to modify the Radial Stock to Leave settings in the 2D Pocket operation AND modify the Bottom Height of the Engrave operation so that no peaks (that I have seen) exist inside the female pocket or outside the inlay profile.

To make it easy for different VBit angles and pocket bit diameters, I created a file that works out the geometry

vBit angles etc are entered in the user parameters and calculated values are saved as favourites.

Since I am a new user, I can’t upload yet, but will do so when I can

1 Like

For the actual V Carve file, I have 3 sketches all created on the XY plane

• Artwork
  • Female Stock Outline
  • Male Stock Outline

Extrusion is used to create new components for female and male stock allowing for glue gap, cutting gap and sanding allowance.

Switching to Manufacturing environment, 3 setups are created

• Female - using the female component with standard WCS
  • Male - using male component and an inverted WCS
  • Facing - using both components and standard WCS

Female setup has 2 operations

• 2D Engrave - Use VBit with same geometry as calculations, Sketch contours are selected from Artwork sketch, Bottom Height takes value from calculations and is offset from selected contours, Top Height is selected contours, Feed Height is Stock Top + offsets etc
  • 2D Pocket - Derived from Engrave above, use pocketing bit, Bottom Height is selected contours offset by pocket depth, Top Height is stock top, Radial stock to leave is from calculations

Male setup has 3 operations

• 2D Pocket - Pocketing bit, Select Artwork Sketch Geometry, ensure arrows point to outside of the profiles, Bottom Height is selected contours minus cutting gap and sanding allowance, Top Height is stock top, Radial Stock to leave comes from calculations
  • 2D Contour - Derived from 2D pocket above, VBit, Bottom Height is selected contours, Top Height is Stock Top
  • 2D Engrave, VBit Selected Contours for Artwork PLUS Male stock profile sketch, Bottom Height comes from calculations, Top Height is selected contours. Once again, be sure that your Feed Height is Stock Top + offsets etc

The 2D Engrave above runs a path around the male stock geometry as well as the artwork. I would love to find a way around this, but havent yet. Also, choosing multiple depths in the Engrave operation and varying them can sometimes cause an incorrect toolpath to be generated.

Facing setup has 1 operation

• 2D facing - Use facing bit, Geometry is Male profile sketch, Bottom Height is selected geometry offset by sanding allowance, Top Height is Stock Top

In the male setup, I use the 2D contour AND the 2D Engrave for two reasons:

• The 2D contour can safely remove stock ABOVE the sketch profile level as you can’t define the Top Height in the 2D Engrave operation as Stock Top. It makes the cuts in the wrong place
  • The 2D contour seems to leave more material behind than the 2D Engrave operation, rounded corners maybe?

@wiifm Would love to get this file somehow!