Router/Controller Pausing Intermittently During Zeroing

My controller failed about 3 months ago after moderate use at most. I am a hobbyist using a 32x32 woodworker. Now that I have about 3 months of use with the new replacement controller, I have noticed during the manual zeroing process, that there is an intermittent and random lagging/pausing of the x y z inputs. This has resulted in the bit slamming into my stock and/or waste board and not surprisingly, some unrecoverable material damage. Nothing else has changed in my little shop.
Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Thanks Gerry

HI Gerald - are you using v1.3? If not, have you upgraded and checked if the problem still exists?

Does it happen when doing manual control using the gamepad?

-Tom

Check in to the discussions here about EMI issues, shorted/pinched wires and bad connectors. Could be any of these.

Hey Gerald,

With manual zeroing, what do you mean exactly?

Usually manually zeroing means

• jogging axes with the Jog Pane,
  • jogging axes with the gamepad,
  • entering axes motion commands into the command entry field of MDI tab,

and then clicking once one of the zeroing icons.

After 3 monthes of use, it could be that the machine with stock cabling…

You say

How do you know it’s the inputs? Which inputs?

How exactly does that manifest itself? All at once?

Further reading

My apologies for the slow response time.
I am using V 1.3.0
I have not noticed the issue with the game controller, although I just use it primarily for Z movements.
I still have additional things to check. Wiring connections, etc.
Thanks Gerry

Next steps.
Thanks Gerry

Thanks for the full response. You have given me some direction in a number of areas and a quicker approach to researching the Onefinity forum site.
1 - Manual zeroing - using the Control Central homing screen on my PC screen or the game controller for the x y z zeroing increments. I have a touch probe but have chosen not to use it very often. (Not homing) (Jog Pane - a new term to me’)
2 - This is a 2+ year old machine with a new controller (3 months old).
3 - I have not checked wiring connectors as yet. I will be checking with a multimeter shortly.
4) inputs on the Control Central screen
5) It manifest itself in intermittent and apparent random events
I have lost several pieces of expensive wood due to “gremlins” which I have failed to identify, i.e. the machine taking some random movements that don’t model in the Vectric software. With the old controller, I did not experience “gremlins”.
I have probably cut several hundred pieces over the life of the machine.
Thanks again, Gerry

Hey Gerald,

Note that usual cable breaks or connector problems that come from motion of the cables and of motion and/or corrosion on the connectors over time can “hide” in the moment you measure, and only appear when motion is there again :frowning:

You will find some weaknesses and problems that typically show up only after a certain time of operation, and you will find to where to look at, if you follow the links that I have provided above. I hope this is of help!

That’s what I try to do if I have the time :slight_smile:

But in fact I just keep a good collection of bookmarks, that I can quickly paste into my answer.

I encourage people this way to realize that there is a lot already there and using the search function is only time-consuming if your search terms are weak. Many people enter one simple search term, often a single word, and think they have to go through all the hits. What works better, is to see if the first hit is the right one, and if not, immediately add additional, more specific words or terms and repeat the search until you get better hits, until finally the right hit is at the top.

PS:

– Source: Onefinity Controller Software Manual

This is one of the things that Onefinity made better, by putting it prominently on the first page. On the original Buildbotics.com controller firmware, it is hidden in the “Jog Tab” in the tabbed section.

– Source: Buildbotics Controller Manual

Thanks again for all the encouraging feedback.
Gerry

1 Like