Running gcode file that has 2 tool paths

Hi. This is my first post here. I am thinking of getting a second CNC and wanted to get the Journeyman X50. I create my Gcode files with Carbide Create and they often have 2 tool paths for 2 different size endmills.
I have found a lot of different information but was hoping to get it answered here directly.
Is it true that I cannot do this with one gcode file but instead I will need to create a separate file for each tool path? If this is the case do I just let the first file finish. Then I start from scratch and zero my Z and my X and Y and then start cutting the 2nd tool path by running the 2nd Gcode file?
Would it be better if I used different software to create my Gcode to get both tool paths in one file?

Thanks

Gaetano

Hey Gaetano,

of course the Onefinity CNC machine, whose Controller is derived from the Buildbotics.com Controller, can do g-code programs with multiple tools.

It’s just that Onefinity, unlike Buildbotics, don’t want to bother with this and simply recommends splitting the programs into individual programs.

But the Buildbotics and the Onefinity Controller let the user control the behaviour of the machine in a field called ‘tool-change’ in the SETTINGS page. The problem is, Onefinity delivers the machine with g-code content in this field that is unusable, which leads to a situation where users are stuck in the middle of a program with no possibility to change the bit, as described here.

Buildbotics, on the other hand, describe thoroughly how you use this ‘tool-change’ field to have the machine behave the way you’d like it when the machine encounters a ‘tool-change’ event.

So what you have to do is just follow an easy instruction for this here.

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Thank you for the concise answer Aiph5u!
They should make this answer a Sticky on the forum.

Cheers
Gaetano

1 Like