Changing Bits during a job

I need an assist…

I ran my first project that includes a bit change, and when it came to the point to do so the router raises up a bit and goes to 0,0. For me, this was the lower left for this project. When it arrives at 0,0 I am prompted to change the bit, and probe Z again. The problem I have is that I have almost no clearence to get in the next bit, and the gamepad controller is not active. I did manage to get the bit installed, but then had no room to use my probe. What am I doing wrong? FWIW, I have the Z mounted to the middle position on the carriage.

Hey Bern,

this has already been answered, e. g. here and here.

You got to check the g-code in the ‘tool-change’ field of the General Configuration Tab of the Onefinity Controller.

A little hint: Try to use the search function before asking, the forum is full of knowledge. E. g. like this: “tool change

4 Likes

Welcome back @Aiph5u… It had been a while…

3 Likes

:triangular_flag_on_post: OT :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey BJ,

thanks for your kind welcome. Sorry for the long absence in the forum. I’m having a hard time

1 Like

I also am happy to see you back, but sorry that the struggles are ongoing. Perhaps the forum will provide a positive distraction.

1 Like

:triangular_flag_on_post: OT :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey Tom!

Thanks for your kind welcome.

you recognized it well, few moments of distraction, you are so right :slight_smile:

But have not much time unfortunately :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, and the much deserved “thump” on my skull. After I hastily sent the post, I decided to do a quick search and found the exact same issue posted and the solution. I am an IT guy and KNOW I should open my eyes before my mouth. I was getting frustrated that I couldn’t understand what was going on and quickly decided to post before searching. That being said, I am wondering how most users here prefer to handle a tool change. Do you prefer to have a seperate file per toolpath, or do you prefer to define the XY Home and Z Gap in the job setup. I am thinking that seperate toolpath files gives the operator the most flexibilty

3 Likes

My preference is to have a different toolpath for each tool. If you need to make any changes to the second toolpath or tool, it’s much easier to pick up from

3 Likes

I prefer to have a different file for each different tool. That way every time I change a tool, I load a file. I add the tool name to the name of each file and number them so I know which file gets loaded and run 1st, 2nd, 3rd… and what tool gets used.

3 Likes

Roger that! I made a few Florida Panthers coasters last night and quickly realized seperate files is the way to go. So much to learn, but this is the most fun I have had with pants on in a long time.

3 Likes

You CNC with your pants on? I didn’t see that in the manual so……

1 Like

It was in the youtube video

1 Like

You have to 1 of 2 things:

• modify your post processor OR
  • hand code your preferences each and every time.

I looked for a post processor that was close to what I wanted. Then I modified with very exact movements so as to have the same procedures each and every time. I now only have to use clearances from Vcarve for tool changes, etc. I added a reference xyz movement to start the program to visually verify my origin, as well as a reference return location to go to to probe my tool at tool change.

I also was able to output notes such as program name and x /y /z program locations.

1 Like

I do separate files as well. In the name I put the bit needed and what order it is in the name. It also allows for the job to be broken up in case something happens and you have to stop in the middle.

2 Likes

I recently did a job where I used the toolpath array option in VCarve Pro to make 4 units of something I was toying around with. It required 4 tool changes, but the toolpaths were all lumped into a single file. I decided to go with it since I wanted the experience, and quickly learned I am not a fan of being “all in” once you hit the launch button. Seperate toolpath files are the way to go, esp for the noobs!

1 Like