Running project twice after tweaking in Carbide Create

I have a project sitting on my 1F. I ran the project and it came out fine, but I want to tweak it and make it a little larger. The file finished, and I have not moved anything. I was wondering if I have to rehome everything or can I just download the new G code file and hit run? I tried searching the form for my question and couldn’t find an answer. FYI, I am still new at this but getting better and better. I love this Forum. I love the product and I appreciate the help. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello and welcome,

It depends if you shut off your controller or not.
If not you can run another program and it will use the same origin.
If you have shut off the controller you will have to find the origin again of your work piece. Hopefully you still have the origin corner you can use.

It is useful to plan ahead for this type of situation. Leaving the origin corner intact on your workpiece if possible is the best. This is not always possible so it’s good to think ahead to have something else on the table you can bump and record the exact distance from your workpiece origin to that thing. You can clamp another block somewhere if nothing else. That way if there is no origin left on your workpiece you can still bump that other thing move over the recorded amounts then set that as the origin.

1 Like

So just to clarify, I started the job let it finish and have not turned off the controller. All I want to do is tweak the file, then re-download it to the controller and run it again.

Hey JFab,

Homing is only necessary once on machine startup. As stall homing, which is used by the Onefinity CNC machine, is not fully reliable, it is wise to not switch the machine off if you want to work on the same workpiece again.

I’m not sure if you mean running a modified program on the same workpiece or a new workpiece. You say you want to make the file larger, this sounds as if you want to use a new workpiece, because you said you already ran the file on the workpiece, so forcibly parts were milled away. If so, if you are sure the new workpiece has identical dimensions (at least its height at workpiece zero) and is attached exactly on the same position, you can run the file again without doing anything else prior to it. But in this case there is no reason not to probe your new workpiece, is there?

If you mean running the file on a workpiece that is left fixed and untouched in the machine, of course you can run a modified file again (you just have to make sure that the workpiece zero is at the same position of the 3D model than before). However previously removed parts of the workpiece will not come back again :slight_smile:

1 Like