X35 Woodworker tool change help request

I am just getting started using my onefinity. It is the first CNC I have ever used. I use the Vetric 11.5 software. I am just getting into it and on 2nd try making a dish.

one question I have is how to set the height of the spinidle when it resets for tool change. I was doing a three tool cut, after the second tool the spindle did not retract high enough to fit the new tool in and then the touch probe. I stopped the program, raised the spindle with the controller to get the tool in and continue.

The next question I have is after stopping the program, how do I restart it. I found the line of code where I was stopped at, however I was not able to select that line of code and start a new. When I selected the play option, the spindle spun up and things when poorly. I have since ordered replacement touch probe wires, bits, and fortunately didn’t hurt myself.

Any help you all can be is appreciated.

Have Vcarve export separate files for each bit.

Hey Sean,

this is done by tweaking the values of the g-code commands in the ‘tool-change’ field of the General Configuration Tab, as described here.

The Onefinity Controller does not support this. You just can pause, but after stop you can only start the g-code program from the beginning. What you can do is edit your g-code program manually with a text editor or a g-code editor to delete parts that were already achieved, but you have to take care that certain g-code commands that set modes or units are prepended at the beginning.

Welcome to the forum!

Further Reading

1 Like

There is a few videos on youtube that helped me with this. Sorry I didnt bookmark it.

1 Like

+1 on what Atroz said. I think your question was the same first post I had when I ran my first project. Saving each toolpath as a seperate file allows you to use the joy pad controller at bit changes. It also gives you additional flexibilty if you see something you don’t like and need to make a few changes along the way. It is also the way OF advises us to run toolpaths.

1 Like

Hey Sean,

in fact, many users of the Onefinity Controller here prefer to choose the option of splitting the program into one program per tool, i.e. creating one G-code program for each tool (the usual CAM programs allow this (which CAM program to use?)).

This is because one of the shortcomings of the Onefinity Controller (and of the Buildbotics Controller, of which it is a hardware and software fork) is that it is not possible to jog around in X, Y and Z during pause or during a tool change (M6 event) (which means the gamepad and the arrow buttons on display are not functional in program mode, not even during pause or tool change). This is one of the big differences to other CNC controllers. It is a requested feature both on the Onefinity Controller and on the Buildbotics controller.

Splitting the overall program into separate parts, one per tool, gets around this limitation in that, as @Bern pointed out, you can then jog around in X, Y and Z at will during tool change, or correct individual settings on the program before starting the pass with the next tool.

With other controllers, this would also work during pause or tool change, without the need to split the program into parts.

Another feature that the Onefinity Controller lacks is the ability to change parameters like the feed rate during the program run. There is however a method to alter spindle speed during pause if you have a Omron or Hitachi VFD (“Temporary ModBus Override”). This also allows to pause spindle during program pause.

You may however go the route of altering the ‘tool-change’ parameters to your needs as I suggested in my previous post, so that you can have multiple tool changes within one program, as is the practice with professional CNCs. The problem with this on the Onefinity Controller is that you can’t always know in advance how long the tools used in your various programs will be. If you enter a high (safe) position of Z at the start of tool change, and then you have to use a tool much shorter than the other tools, the lowering Z routine to probe the tool length in extra slow speed will steal you considerable time. You may judge on if this only happens once during your program, you want to tolerate it, but generally this method is suitable if you have rather similar tool lengths within one program, and adjust them for another program with other tool lengths.

1 Like

Aiph5u I break up my programs as well. It makes it much easier to move the rourter to where it is a lot more comfortable to change the tool and do a z probe. and i can do things like roughing out a pocket with a bigger faster tool them comeback later with a fine tool to make the corners smaller for example. take a bit more time but i am not in any kind of production so a little more time saves a lot more sanding etc.

Thank you everyone for the assistance. I appreciate the recommendations on splitting the program up to individual cuts. I had thought of that as an option, but was hoping to continue it as just tool changes and push play.

Using Vcarve Pro I see where I can set the start height of the spindle to a higher location. I think putting in this higher start/safe height may also be an option? For now I am going to implement the separate cut files technique and see where the bit ends up. As I become more familiar I may try other items. Until then new bits, a new probe wire, and continued learning will be my way forward.

Thanks for the help, I am sure splitting the cuts to individual files per bit will work splendid for me.

I have since run several of the tool paths that I am attempting to cut. I have taken the advice and saved them as separate files. This has added minimal time to the project and allows me the adjustment of Z for tool swaps as needed.

With this project I am batching them out 4 at a time, 3 separate tool paths. I am creating a bowl with an engraving in the bottom. I chose to array them manually on the board. This morning I am running 3 tool paths to create these bowls. The first is a bowl cut with the 1370 bowl bit from Whitesides, Second is a 60 degree v bit from Freud, and last is the profile cut using a downcut 1/4"bit.

Watching the preview in Vcarve Pro, I was attempting to see if the Vbit will retract between each engraving to determine if it will retract to the safe height above the work piece, or if it will just retract to the clearance height. Meaning, will the z axis withdraw enough to clear the edge of the bowl, or plow right through? I am confident it will clear, I will update after the project.

As a side note, the 1370 whiteside bowl bit is sold as 7/16th cut diameter. The vectric tool path lists this bit as 5/16th cut diameter. I contacted whiteside and they updated the tool cut diameter for me in a file and emailed it to me. Great customer service, I tried to do it myself, but this field was not editable in the tool file.

Well, I ran the file and it all worked out great. I need to work on efficiency. The cut takes a couple of hours for it all to work out, but I am enjoying the process.