Increasing IPM on the fly?

can i increase the IPM after I have started to carve ?

1 Like

It’s been an interest of a good number of people for a while as you can see in this early post. The Onefinity controller is not able to do that, and as far as I’ve seen anyway, no one has come up with a work around. Onefinity at one point mentioned they were looking in to this, but I haven’t seen anything since.

You may be able to change the spindle speed though. If you have a hand router, you can pause controller, change speed on router, and unpause. If you have a spindle/VFD you are able to do the same if your VFD allows a “temporary modbus control override”.
Certainly would be a nice addition to the Onefinity controller to have feeds/speeds override on the fly some day.

7 Likes

i completely agree. Sine i am new at cnc i can’t yet estimate what feeds even look like, but I now know the 40 IPM is terribly slow to put a tiny little v groove on a spoil board lol

1 Like

Yes, I’m in the same boat with not knowing much at all about feeds and speeds. I have a vfd/spindle combo, which would have feed/speed differences as compared to a handheld router. There are guys that can help with practical experience here and on the Facebook page if you give them details of your machine, spindle or router, bit specs, material, etc. I also bought G Wizard Calculator which helps. Their hobby lite version is pretty reasonably priced if you want to get in the ballpark and you can lower the “aggressiveness” of the calculations to fit a less rigid hobby cnc as opposed to a pro set-up.
It seems like most people find they can up the feed more than they thought - I know I did.

1 Like

I agree it very frustrating, a lot of my work is in hard wood, oak and ash mainly and often one piece cuts very differently to the next, normally due to grain structure or grain direction.
Most of my items are fairly small so i tend to finish the item and then make an adjustment for the next but that’s not really ideal as the next piece of timber could be totally different.
I run a separate laser cutter / engraver using LightBurn for design and control and that has a great feature where by you can alter both the laser power and feed rate whilst cutting or engraving.
The increase and decrease is by clicking on buttons each with a different percentage alteration.
The ability to do this would be very high on my upgrade list with another being able to use a pendent control with a rotary control for axis movement similar to the ones used on commercial machines.

1 Like

Longmill has this feature built in what they call g sender
The control allows for increasing ipm whike in operation by using a softkey on the gsender controller screen

thanks but i am just startung to use the onefinity I am not going to buy a long mill now

1 Like

Thanks. G sender may be an option worth looking in to. Wasn’t aware of it.
I’m not ready to try it yet, but may upgrade controller at some point. Would probably go with Centroid Acorn, which seems to have some more “industrial” features at an entry level price. For now the Onefinity controller with its quirks is good enough for me.

2 Likes

just ref to where i seen it in use. 1f is the way to stay. every machine has an issue or a feature some ppl want dislike etc. pros n cons to everything we do right? just the way it is. Id like to be able to load one file instead of many to use multiple bits in my projects
tat would be the best upgrade to the 1F controller im my opinion. some of my designs reguire 7 bits to get to the final outcome. i guess i expect too much maybe lol

Hey Derk,

You can very well use g-code toolpath files with multiple tools in them on the Onefinity if your CAM program inserts the “M6 (Tool change)” command in the right places (along with a message about which tool to insert). Most programs do this by default. However, in the factory configuration of the Onefinity controller, there is only a simple g-code routine that is invoked on an “M6 (tool change)” that may not harmonize with your workpiece or with your needs, which can be very different between users. You may for example want the Z to be raised higher for a tool change, or that all tool changes be done at home position etc. There is not only one way to do this. That’s why the Onefinity manufacturer doesn’t feel like dealing with it. If you want tool changes within a file, it makes sense to deal with the tool change routine in the Onefinity controller and adapt the commands in it to your needs. You can find it in the General Configuration Tab and it is in the ‘tool-change’ field. I have posted information about what the g-code commands in it mean and what you can write in it here.

2 Likes

Thata great news ill have to train myself how to incorporate this with my controller and vcarve pro software and learn the g code. That would simplify things for my projects. Id like to be able to atore a fike with multiple tools to 1 file and not get the over under error on the z axis
I might be able to do it lol ill look into this definately thanks

if i try using these gcode commands and it dont work for me can i just turn it back off and be back to the original configuration of the controller or will i have to reflash the image file on the micro sd card
i dont want to be down a week again lol

Hey Derk,

you don’t need to reflash your SD card. You can at any time save your current configuration (backup), then modify something, save this too (backup again), and you can also at any time restore your configuration to defaults.

2 Likes

yes I figured that would work. i backed up my conf before and after the most recent firmware update today. so Im good to go i think. lol
I may give this a shot this week. idk i have a lot of irons in the fire right now lol
and serious illness in the family im dealing with at the moment.
thanks for the information this is very helpful in getting my machine set up the way I prefer to show it off and be above the compitetion and what they are doing with theirs lol
It will make me feel better about my purchase too.
ive not found the limitations of the 1F yet only the router lol this thing eat more material faster than a beaver lol ive pushed it hard too but only with wood and plastics. the makita dont like .650 depth of cut per pass at 130 ipm lol a spindle maybe required lol

the shapako xxl right now is the compitition to beat. it appears from videos ive seen they have the ability to use a bit setter for tool change and the ability to increase or decrease feed rate on the fly by pressing a soft key on the controller screen or within the easle software if im coreect. but i want this 1F to do the same and thats my goal to make happen. i almost purchased that machine over this one.
I have some ideas to help reduce dirt in the ball screws etc i just need to purchase new z axis mounting plates from 1F so I can mill in the clearance needed to use my idea for keeping debris off the ball screws so the machne can home properly without interfernce. Ive been testing this idea since I got back up running and it works really well but has to be removed to home properly. if i can mill say .100 off the sides partially on lower end of the z axis plates problem solved and i wont have to remove my sheilds to home machine. it really reduces the amount of chips getting on the ballscrews which helps from locking them oil consumption for keeping lubed properly etc… which = less wear n tear maint and costs of repairs overall
many things to do and no time to do it right now but ill get there. lol
Thanks again for your help and information regarding tool change and running multiple tool per 1 file. thats my number 1 goal at this time. out do the competition lol

1 Like

Hey Derk,

bitsetter is in fact nothing but a variation of a tool-change routine. You may search for bitsetter in the forum.

Onefinity uses stall homing but Buildbotics and Onefinity Controllers support retrofitting proximity sensors as limit switches. This allows for very precise homing repeatability in case you have a fixed stop on the wasteboard and want to machine several parts in succession (even with the machine switched off in between ) without new x,y probing.

As for changing the feed rate during a program, that currently remains an option you won’t get until you replace the controller.

3 Likes

Yeah bit sitter and tool change all within the same and what i was referring to doing with the tool change and g code method you pointed out to me. Thats how i want this machine to work for me.
I home pretty decent for repeatabilty except on my y axis it seems to vary about .020 and yes i have jobs i want to run with a fixed position for my zero datum point.
I make aure when i home the machine it bumps on a perfectly clean area. I always keep my maxhine clear of debris on xritical areas and i use a nice aodt bristle paint brush and it works really well.
So limit switches are more accurate for homing. Good info i may get to that point but first i gotta get the bit change working thats my number 1 goal right now im just a lil shy of trying it i really dont want to goof this machine up. The pin connector and all i went thru makes me leary now.
Heres hiw id like it. Program runs until time swap bits. Then it stop or pause however you look at it and at a area that i can rezero with apindle up high enough to allow for my longeat bit which is 3.5 inches currently and be able to use my pribe block there and probe for the z axis and then be able to hit resume etc and it continue witj the program until its time for the next bit
But i need to figure out how to make it work with probiing from the top of material and off machine bed as i run both ways just depends on the job.
The g xodes seems simple and i can use the cheat sheet to help and the forum where you pointed out to me the coding as reference
I know it can be done now but im not confident in myself enough at this time to try it yet. But working up the nerve to lol
Im meen what can go wrong right? Just make sure to run a simulation without a bit installed and aee what it does. I dont think i can break the machine that way it will either run or error out i assume and then make the appropriate g code change and keep testing until i get what i want right?
Thats the process i have dreamed up anyways
Got any advice or do not do list i need to be aware of?
You all know what youre doing way more than me but im slowly learning
A lot of things to take in for the average joe like me but ive never found anything i cant do with the proper tools and information.
Jack of all trades master of none lol

Hey Derk,

with the proximity sensors you avoid any bumping at all, it simply stops when the sensor senses the metal of the opposite moving part.

I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with the commands that appear in the link mentioned above about ‘tool-change’ routine. You can familiarize yourself with all the commands by entering them one at a time in the Command Entry Field of the MDI Tab and see what happens. Yes, little can happen, especially with no bit.

You can find the entire g-code command reference here.

Precisely. I see no reason why you would not succeed, if you give yourself the time to explore it and get familiar with it. Take also the time to study the documentation and specification, it answers questions too.

We all come from a point where we knew nothing :slight_smile:.

That’s a good attitude. But, as I said earlier, mastering a CNC machine is nothing one would expect to happen within a few days. Take your time. Good luck!

1 Like

Plus 1 for this feature.