Running wire for future 220v spindle

My 1F is in located in my basement. The walls are wood studs and open joists above. I’m seriously considering drywalling the room, and because I may someday move to a 220v spindle I’m thinking of running wire now before closing it up. I do know something about woodworking, however when it comes to electrical and also knowledge about spindles, I am ignorant. Can someone advise me about what type of wire I should use? (a link would be great). It’s about a 50’ run to the breaker box on the other side of the basement, which is outside of the room I’m drywalling. My plan is run wire through the wall, then through the ceiling to right above the breaker box, where I will just coil the last few feet in the joist space above. Then if I ever decide to move to a spindle I’ll have an electrician connect it to the breaker box.

Some questions I have: Is the type of wire used dependent on the brand and specifications of the spindle I purchase? What type of plug would be needed? Is there a wire I can run now that will safely cover the various requirements I might encounter later? How many amps should the circuit be? (or is that again dependent what spindle is selected?). Any guidance is appreciated…

Location would be helpful as electrical code can vary by location.

However, without any more info a 10/3 with ground Romex should be close to what you need.

1 Like

More information is needed. First off the type of wire you will want for inside a wall is just the standard yellow stuff (romex) you can buy at HD or Lowes. The size (gauge) is the issue. How many amp circuit do you want? 20 amp will need 12 gauge wire, 30 amp 10 gauge. 30 amps will handle a lot. That being said you can run a 30 amp circuit with a couple 30 amp outlets. They sell a 240v to 120v adapters on Amazon for cheap so that one circuit would handle everything for your 1F. A 240v 30 amp circuit is equal to three 120v 20 amp circuits. 10 gauge wire is a little difficult to work with.

Be carful some locations require wire in basements to be run in conduit. Best check with Building Official.

1 Like

Not exactly to the point, but watch your wallet. The price of Romex has skyrocketed along with the price of lumber. 10/3 will set you back! It will come down when the supply issues are resolved - if you can wait, you might want to.

Thanks for all the responses. Based on the information presented here, I’m now thinking I’m better off hiring an electrician to install the line. My thought was that I would just run some wire before closing up the walls, something I could do myself. But there’s a lot of considerations, and I’ve decided to just hire a professional to get it done right (yeah, with the price of wire nowadays, I know it will be expensive)…

If you hire an electrician, do it before the drywall goes up. He will thank you and your cost will be considerably less.

Oh yeah, I definitely know the time to put in the line is before closing up the walls. I’ll just have to wait for the electrician before getting started on the drywall…