Scan Uploaded G-Code for Boundary Issues

I would be really great if the controller would identify erroneous input before it starts to execute. Something as simple as scanning a freshly uploaded file for movement that is obviously outside the machine boundaries would be very helpful for identifying issues before you start milling, potentially saving a project from disaster.

-Tom

2 Likes

I agree, just ran into this problem today. A program was about 10min in when it stopped to tell me the x-axis was too wide, by 1.3mm.

2 Likes

A feature I really appreciate on the OpenBuilds CONTROL software is “outline” your project. When it runs, the router moved in a rectangular pattern to show the XY extents of the project.

It’s an easy way to confirm the project’s envelope is what you’re expecting.

Eric Dutton

You could technically add that as a toolpath manually.

@Hermsen.BJ - perhaps, but how would you keep the machine from following it?

-Tom

Ah I thought that was the desire… Essentially draw a box in the air at a safe clearance height.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’d like to see the box, but not have the machine make the movements. Though in 3d printing I do use a skirt, which is essentially the same thing, but to prime the nozzle which is not required for CNC.

All that aside, being notified of errors before the op starts is key.

Have you guys checked out the preview it gives when viewing from a networked computer? It will show the bounding box, the endmill location, the material, and the toolpaths, like this:
zero

1 Like

No, my preview never renders after I upload. Maybe I’m not doing something properly (I’m on WIFI not Ethernet).

-Tom

it could be the browser your using is blocking the preview somehow.

I will check my settings, but I can’t imagine any of cookie settings would interfere with rendering since all the content is coming from the same host. It doesn’t render on the touch screen either, but I think I read that is normal.

-Tom

Tom, This does not render on the controller outputted screens. Only on the external browser connections (ie your laptop\desktop) connected to the ip or local named address (ie: onefinity.local)

Tom, one other thing to check on your browser is these buttons. First displays stock, second origin but fourth will orient the image for you. If it is off the current view for some reason (zoom or move) it will bring it back in focus.

@Hermsen.BJ - so I see those buttons, but I never get a rendering of the model or cuts. I’ve clicked each without any change in the UI. I hope to do more debugging soon; swamped at work right now, but I plan on focusing on CNC projects in the upcoming week.

-Tom

I have only used Chrome on both android and windows without issue. Not sure what browser you are using.

do you have an ad blocker enabled?

I’m on a Mac and I have MacOS content blockers enabled as well as ad blockers. Plus disabled 3rd party cookies and probably other stuff #notparanoid :wink:

I’ll play around with my settings this weekend and see if anything changes.

-Tom

1 Like

Rendering doesn’t work on Safari but works on Chrome. Not sure why though. Does not seem to be related to content blockers and such.