Setting up a static IP address

If your router is assigning a new IP address to your controller upon reboot, setting up a static IP address would be beneficial.
We will need to do this at the Wi-Fi router level, as you cannot access or change this information on the controller.
Doing it at the router level is called assigning a DHCP reservation, though many people (and even some routers) still refer to it as a “static IP address.”

DHCP reservations allow you to easily set everything up in one place with all your computers left at their default settings. Your controller will ask for an IP address via DHCP, and your router will assign it the one you’ve reserved, with your controller being none the wiser.

How to Set Up a DHCP Reservation

To set up a DHCP reservation, head to your router’s configuration page (typically 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.100) — usually by typing its IP address in your browser’s navigation bar—and log in. Every router is different, so please refer to your routers documentation to see how to log into it. If you’re using a mesh Wi-Fi system with an app instead of a config page, you’ll find these settings in the app.

(example from an ASUS branded router)

The location is different for every config page, but you’re looking for something called “DHCP reservations,” “static IP addresses,” or something similar—on our Asus router, it’s in the LAN settings category. If your unable to find this, please refer to your brand and models website for documentation of where this information is stored.

To assign a reservation, you’ll need the MAC address of the device in question. This is a unique string of characters that identifies a particular network adapter, and you can usually find it in your router’s list of connected devices. Make sure you’re getting the MAC address for your controller.

On your router’s config page, enter an easy-to-remember label for the device (like “Onefinity Controller”), the MAC address, and your desired IP address. Save your changes, and repeat the process for any other IP addresses you want to reserve.

From then on, those devices should have your reserved IP addresses assigned to them, and you’ll never have to look them up again.

It may take a reboot of the router first, then the controller for these settings to take affect.

9 Likes

This is very helpful, I did this in my router day-1 and now I do not need to try and figure out what IP my DHCP served up today when I connect from my PC to the controller.

For those of you who have Google’s or Other’s Mesh Networks, its pretty simple to find your controller on the list and just click the + button to add it. Mine took me <1 min to setup soup to nuts.

-Alex

2 Likes

Hi,
The first time my controller joined the local WiFi network, DHCP assigned one IP address. After rebooting, my router (Verizon) assigned it a different IP address. Now, when I reboot the controller, it shows TWO IP addresses, separated by a comma. I think I found a way to make one IP assignment static but two IP addresses are still appearing on the controller screen. Do you know how to reset that?

thanks,
Michael

Usually rebooting your router and then rebooting the controller should clear it up.

1 Like

Hi
Logged out of Onefinity controller, rebooted Verizon router, restarted Onefinity. Same issue (image attached).

Michael Waddell

do you have a 2.4ghz and 5ghz seperated?

No idea. Router configured by Verizon. My newer mobile phone receives wifi on 5Ghz band, other equipment receives at 2.4. Same SSID on all devices.

How do I get the MAC address for my onefinity?

You’ll need to log into your router and find it in the device list.
Every router and brand are a bit different, so a google search of your router model number should assist in finding the devices that are connected and their ip/mac address.

Hi I’m using verizon fios as well. I cant find the static IP information. Are you just clicking onefinity in “my network”? I’m not seeing field to update static. Please assist if you can. Thanks.

Al

The Verizon forums may offer you help with this? Solved: Quantum Gateway - How to setup static IP for internal PCs using MAC address - Verizon Fios Community