Setting up z when stock is a different size

good morning, I attempted first simple project yesterday. a simple catch all tray. my program is for .750 stock. my piece was .739 so i placed a .015 shim under touch off probe to make up the difference fo z. is there a way to offset the z. I have the x50. thanks

You can use the touch probe without the shim to set the zero. When you probe the Z axis (or all three) the Z axis position on the display will read zero when the bit is just barely touching the surface. Just jog it up the desired amount and set that to be zero. You know you did it because the Z axis number changes back to zero.

1 Like

makes sense now, thats sounds easy enough thanks

Hey Butch,

what Dr-Al explained is because in your 3D model, you have the workpiece zero on the top of the workpiece. With probing on the top you always have the right height. It would be different if you had the workpiece zero on the bottom of the workpiece and would therefore probe from the machine bed. This is often necessary when you have multiple tool passes and the first pass milled the top surface of your workpiece away ā€“ making it impossible to probe the tool length from the top again. In this case it would be advisable to edit the 3D model to reflect the real stock height.

1 Like

great explanation thank you. Iā€™m slowly understanding some of this

1 Like