Several EMIs after installing spindle, also Vcarve bug

Hey Tom,

I would assume that PwnCNC’s cable is shielded and grounded, however it is important for the ground of the VFD to be connected to ground on the wall outlet/wall box. This is usually done inside the IEC 60320 power connector and inside your AC power plug. Internally, usually the ground symbol (⏚) is the grounding point of the VFD. This point has to have a connection to the power plug internally, and then to the PE wire and the shield of the spindle motor cable.

On the entire setup, it is important that basically, all the ground wires should converge in one point, and that’s in the control cabinet usually at the one screw of the metal housing part of your VFD, which is also marked accordingly (⏚).

Here I put together grounding information. Note that besides grounding the VFD, the spindle, and the Controller, it is also necessary to ground the frame and all moving parts of the frame. I have described the parts and tools needed to ground the frame here.

You would have to make completely new cables. I described some of the thoughts for this here.

2 Likes