So. I did a thing.. (Genmitsu Router, a Makita Clone)

This isn’t a “woe is me post” but with US Inflation hitting me for 20% in the last 3 years and having fried my first Makita router the other day, I am simply not in a position to buy another Makita at the moment.

When it decided to release the magic smoke, I took to Amazon trying to seek out the lowest-cost Makita I could find, refurb or new when I ran across this…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CN3DCG7P?psc=1

The product description was " Genmitsu 1.25 HP 65mm Diameter Palm Trimmer Router, Compact Router Wood Tool With Fixed Base, 6 Variable Speeds 10000-30000 R/MIN, with 1/4“ Collet, Perfect for CNC Woodworking & DIY Project" and it PHYSICALLY looked like a rebranded Makita…

It was also $50 with a coupon, $40 burning up a little credit I had built, so you know I just had to try it.

Here’s what I discovered.

1. Functionally, it looks almost identical.
  2. Specs seemed identical
  3. SOUNDS identical to the Makita
  4. it was a plug and play replacement for the Makita
  5. The collet and collet nut are identical (and interchangeable, just because I wanted to know and put the Makita collet/nut on the Genmitsu)
  6. I believe the stated RPM specs are the same.
  7. Everything, including my dust boot was plug and play.

The ONLY differences I have found so far are that the included wrenches are a little bit shorter and that the power cord seems about 6" shorter.

I honestly don’t know much if anything about the longevity of it. Might die today. Might die in 2 years. Might never die. Dunno yet… I installed it 2 hours ago bit it did come with a decent manual and two replacement brushes which look identical to the Makita brushes.

I simply had never seen nor heard anyone else discussing it here, so thought I’d share.

Wayne

2 Likes

Oooh, and in addition to the extra brushes, it is “Equipped with overheat protection, it shuts off automatically to safeguard the motor … “

I’d better grab one before @Aiph5u corners the market! :wink:

Now if only it had an ER-11 collet holder …

2 Likes

FYI, the first two carves I’ve done since yesterday went without a hitch using the Genmitsu

There is also a router made by Nymolabs. Same specs except it has the er11 collet.$89. Comes with 1/8th collet so you would have to buy the 1/4 inch.

Thanks for the info! Being limited to using just a couple of drill-bit diameters with the Makita, I’ve spent a lot of time on workarounds. So I’ll probably give one of these a try.

1 Like

Usual preface, I’m with PreciseBits so while I try to only post general information take everything I say with the understanding that I have a bias.

Over the past few years there’s been a lot of… Let’s call them Makita “style” routers. For anyone interested here’s my off the top of my head list. Not including links as some are from competitors. Also, not including ones from people like Genmitsu or other mass rebranders.

Carbide3d - Carbide Compact Router

Makita style collets. Seems to be a straight clone.
Carbide3d - Carbide ER-11 Compact Router
    ER11 collets with a/hex/UM nut.
Kobalt - K7TR-03
    ER11 collets with a/hex/UM nut. Apparently made with input from V1 engineering. Also is slightly bigger diameter (numbers vary). Claims 5 year warranty presumably without CNC use voiding it as they list that as a use.
Makermade - CNC Router
    ER11 collets with a/hex/UM nut. Claims to use NSK bearings.
Nymolabs - CNC Router Spindle Motor
    ER11 collets with a/hex/UM nut. Claims runout of less than 0.05mm (not that great especially if not including the collets).

Openbuild - RoutER11

ER11 collets with a/hex/UM nut.

We haven’t been able to get any real feedback or info on any of them. At least not the things we care about like runout or bearing spec/setup. If any of you are using them and have any info I’d be interested.

2 Likes