Spindle Information

Thanks so much for your reply.

1 Like

The difference in the laser mounts is the 65mm and the 80mm the hole spacing is the same (looks to be about 1 1/2"). But the height is different. The 65mm looks to be about 1" while the spacing is 1 1/2" on the 80mm mount. I mounted a bracket to hold the dust collector hose above the dust collector shoe using the laser mounting holes. I didn’t take a super accurate measurement though. I didn’t have M5 screws and used 10-32 screws which will work but fit slightly loosely.

I measured (note I only have regular calipers and average eye sight) the hole spacing on the 80mm mount. Their centres form a square pattern, approximately 37mm equidistant. As @Dr-Al noted the width spacing is identical (1.5" = 38.1mm), so if you can measure that then you can calculate the hole spacing for the larger mount based on that distance.

Thanks so much for the information. I appreciate your help.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply.

? Mine running at 1k min
You can alter minimum and maximum running speeds.

My experience with other 3 phase motors driven by variable frequency drives is that you should be cautious of going lower than the manufacturer’s recommendation. They become less efficient and give up more of the current in heat vs. output. So if HY says 6k is the minimum for theirs, that is what I will stick with. Not sure who’s spindle you are using and it may be okay at 1000 rpm but I doubt it.

1 Like

Hey all,

I agree with Alan. Here you can see a typical rotational speed/torque diagram for a 2.2 kW 80 mm water-cooled spindle. As you can see, there is practically no torque below 6000 rpm.

With this 1.5 kW 65 mm water-cooled spindle this lower limit is even higher with 9000 rpm.

2 Likes

Thanks Aiph5u for the nice curves. They are demonstrative of the “constant torque” nature of these spindle motors. Once you drop below the manufacturer’s minimum speed the torque drops like a stone and therefore the power. This really is a danger zone for damaging the spindle.

By the way, I have been searching for similar curves for the Huanyang spindle motors and haven’t come up with them yet. I notice the curves you posted here are from Mechatron and I wouldn’t be surprised if the HY’s are copies. I had looked at these before and thought they looked very nice and I can imagine they are a little pricier than the HY’s!

Thanks again

Hey Alan,

I wouldn’t be surprised if there weren’t any

Pricier surely, but it depends, the spindles mentioned above are still standard line and not professional line. Yes, of course much pricier than these unbelievably cheap spindle/VFD/water pump bundles, but it depends on which target group you are and how much you want to rely on it. This one was approx. $1000 for the spindle alone, but if you intend professional use, then you are not looking for adventure. On the other hand, as a hobbyist, you may want to have fun and are looking for little money solutions.

It is great if this allows people to try things out, to start with low budget, with the low ‘hit’ of loosing the money you mention Tom. But I am not sure if I would sleep peacefully while the machine was working with these unbelievably low-priced bundles.

That is advice I would agree to.

Thanks,

1 Like

From the manual of my Hy VFD:

Usually, these are set for a constant torque curve. All depends on the motor though. Motors with more poles have higher torque at lower RPMs - most of the cheap spindles out there are 2-pole, with a minimum RPM of 6,000 - 9,000 depending to he specific spindle.

Hey Michael,

yes, the two spindles mentioned above have 2 poles, while e. g. this monstruous 7,5 kW 125 mm ATC engine has 4 poles and over 6 Nm at 3000 rpm(!)

Maybe someday! I did pick up a nice VFD: WJ200-022SF 3HP 2.2kW 230V Single Phase Input VFD - Hitachi. Comes with sensorless vector control. Will be hooking it up to the 1F and a new 2.2kw spindle this week!

Nice yes. Good luck!

1 Like

Water cooled so you won’t have a problem with heat.
I run at 3k on certain plastics. It’s fine.

In my earlier searches for spindles (not high precision due to cost and comparability), I had reached out to Machatron, and asked for details on bearings and spindle manufacture. The answer was:

1. We use 3 steel bearings, 2x 6005, 1x 6002.
  2. Our Spindles are designed, assembled, and proved in Germany.
    Things that stood out:
  3. They use deep groove (6000s) vs the angular contact (7002, 7005) of the HY I looked at. Also, the HY I am considering has the option to purchase one with 4 bearings (2 pairs)
  4. This answer seems to indicate that parts are (probably) made outside of Germany
    Most bearing descriptions I have found do not include the precision rating of the bearing.

Hey Tom,

but the datasheets above say bearings comply ABEC 7 / P4S. Among other things, I relied on that when buying.

Thanks for sharing your research results!

1 Like

Sorry, I should have been clearer. By ‘most’ I did not mean Mechatron, as they do include this. I did not see this for other manufacturers I looked at. The HY I looked which has 0.025mm radial runout, as compared to the 0.005mm of the Mechatron.

I am planning on purchasing a Huanyang 80mm 220 spindle. Due primarily to noises and controlling speeds.

What should I expect to pay for them? Saw some screen shots for them at $400. Looks like they are currently $424.

1 Like

I was looking at this one:

3 Likes