80mm spindle and VFD choices

If quality is what you are seeking this is hands down the best option for you, if you don’t want to jump up to 80mm. Mechatron GmbH
They make a properly fan cooled air-cooled and water cooled spindles in 65mm and if you want to add the additional weight, they sell 80mm and 100mm as well.
Considering the quality, plug and play options they have available for VFD prewired in a cabinet.

I just ordered a complete cabinet package, and look forward to installing it once my “Woodworker” arrives in a few weeks.

I have many years experience using these spindles in a professional environment, they are designed to run in industrial manufacturing settings and keep tight tolerances.
I had terrible luck with the "no name spindles and VFDs " that plague all the inexpensive places we buy from, but rather than call them inexpensive deals , they are “cheap and dangerous”, paying a little more for something precise, and well built and safe from the start, is a good start.
My current Mechatron 100mm spindle has been perfect for nearly 5 years and ran nearly 24 hours a day for a year.

Don’t risk burning down your shop, or home, and investments on products that need to be modified highly to work safely and effectively, if the spindle and VFD have no “real UL or CE listing” and no real tech support, I would advise to just use the Makita option, make some money with it and invest, or save a bit longer and buy quality products.
As far as VFDs, I would look at Fuji, or Omron, few bucks more and huge difference in quality safety and support. These things are dealing with amperage that can kill, if they have no technical support, I’d stay clear unless you are proficient with electrical work.

If you interested, Rainer Wohlmann is very helpful and great communication with us English speakers.

Hope this information helps others, and I’ll keep you posted with the install when my Onefinity finally arrives.
Be well Everyone, and I’d be happy to share what has worked with me in the past on other machines, and what I use in a professional environment.

8 Likes