Spindle RPM Turning Off Between Cuts

I have a Woodworker X-50 with a @PwnCNC 2.2kw 220v ER20 80mm 2-pole 400Hz Air-Cooled Spindle kit, running firmware 1.3.1 with VCarve Pro 11.554. I’ve run into a unique set of events that has caused a couple tool breakages. It’s a very specific scenario, but I’ve managed to do it multiple times without realizing what was causing the issue. I just wanted to pass along the info to prevent someone else from running into the issue.

1. I power up my machine and it’s in laser mode
  2. I forget to change the mode and attempt to run the spindle program
  3. The spindle doesn’t turn on and get up to speed because it doesn’t recognize the mode (perfectly fine because the machine isn’t moving)
  4. I press stop on the “spindle rpm” pop up
  5. I switch to PWNCNC VFD mode and save
  6. Run the program and the spindle starts up during the pop up this time
  7. Program runs the first cut fine
  8. When done with the first cut, the spindle drops to zero
  9. The spindle turns back on when it gets to the second cut, but it attempts to begun the cut immediately, resulting in tool breakage.
1 Like

Hey Don,

there is an option “rapid-auto-off” that should be automatically enabled with tool=laser and disabled with tool=“router”. This option makes that on rapid moves (G0 commands), the laser does not fire, but with a router the router should not stop to spin on rapid moves. This option is there to select the behaviour of the tool during rapid moves. You could check if your PWN VFD option allows to change the option and make sure that it is not enabled.

Also do you have tool changes in your program? If so, you got to be aware the the ‘tool-change’ routine on the stock firmwares was always unusable. You can use my ‘tool-change’ routine that works.

Where is your “spindle rpm” popup located, in the VCarve post processor? If so, is it invoked after each tool change?

1 Like