Stepper motor brake

I did watch the video. I even went to the manufacturers web page and watched some of their demo videos and looked at a few pdf docs of products.

None of these showed how they work, or the forces needed to work relative to the mass they were holding. Also, the ‘positioner’ is for holding things in place/‘static’, so I do not know how it would function with a Z assembly that keeps moving up and down.

That is why I suggested contacting the company - there are others - to discuss your use case. It would be interesting to hear their thoughts.

1 Like

Sorry to bring up this old post. Has anyone tried this motor/brake on their Z-20 with an 80mm spindle? It’s really not that expensive and I don’t care to maintain balancers or springs.
I just got around to mounting my spindle after frying my Makita because of collet failure.

I am using this and i couldn’t be happier, no problems to date…

@MRD
Good to hear. Did you get the power for the brake via breakout board?
Thanks for replying.

I used a separate 24 volt power supply for the brake. Kept it separate from the other elements.

Hey Mrd, I changing my Y steppers to a braking model for my new wall mount arrangement. How did you wire the brakes? I’ve got a 24V power supply for the two brakes, which will work for a power outage or power off situation, but can you have them brake when the EStop is pushed?

I see that you’re posting x35/x50 my machine was wired to the Masso touch. So I fear I can be of little help…

Well actually… I’m also going to add a braking stepper to the Z20 assembly on my Elite Woodworker. So I’ll be wiring to the Masso controller as well.

Sorry about that. I 3d printed a enclosure for my power supply and plugged it in to its own 120volt plug. Then the 24 volts was wired into the positive side of the Masso Relay, which was part of my brake setup. I followed the wiring diagram from here

If you follow this thread and wiring diagram you will have sucess…I’m clueless on the y axis braking as you have 2 motors to deal with…

1 Like

Mine was for a spring brake on an elite.
Maybe parts can be recycled for the OG 1F but this diagram was not intended for it

Yeah, I missed that braking stepper part. My bad…

1 Like

Hey OnefinityCNC,

you cannot attach this motor to the buildbotics-derived Onefinity Controller. For this, you would first need to implement this

2 Likes