Technically my 2nd Project on Elite Foreman

So as a Newbie you all know I had issue with my spoilboard program within carveco and the machine, (Holy Gee Whiz WTF! - #4 by Enginerd), after repairing the spoilboard, replacing router with another new router, tightening the bit down, and using the built-in Masso Conversational tool path for rectangular pocket, I managed to surface the spoilboard (my 1st Project). I was very happy with the end results, except for the rounded corners.

Playing around with Carveco I made a 2" grid pattern and learned a few things:

1. In Carveco make sure your model size matches what you want to do. For example in my newbie case, I made the model size of 49.5" square and using advice from Enginerd (Chris) I set my Z height at the top of a 2x4 and ran the program. The program would start 0.75 inches in both x and y away from Zero. This would run to past the machine limits on the x axis. The funny thing is that the program on the screen would continue but none of the rails or axis would be moving. I then resized the model to the actual size of what I wanted and it worked out perfect.
  2. I relized again that I am a Newbie and still trying to figure out how to use the probe even after watching a bunch of videos I am still getting error codes, trying to figure out what the error is to clear out, to resume the project, to clear the project, etc etc.

So being a newbie I was proud of myself once again and as you can see below the grid came out great. My only issue is I should of used a different font on the numbers since the v-bit kinda ate some of the MDF to make some numbers not a clean cut as others.

I want to thank everyone who has provided guidance, motivation, and information.
If anyone wants I will be more than happy to post the Carveco file on here for them to use/modify.

Thanks a BUNCH you all!!!

1 Like

Dan,

The pictures appear that you surfaced the top of your table. Is your spoil board the same as the table top? Maybe its just the angle of the pictures but in the future when you need to replace the spoil board, what are your plans to accomplish that? Normally the spoil board is a 2nd layer of MDF (etc.) on top of the main table that can be easily swapped out and replaced. Most often with T-Track like you have, its even strips between tracks that can be individually replaced.

Just curious, maybe its just the picture angle but wanted to see.

-Alex

I have the QWC and yes the strips in between the t-tracks are individual which i have fitted. Take it I am a newbie and I understand the concept of using an extra layer for spoilboard, which i plan on using if i have any cut-through projects, but then I couldn’t use the t-track or am i missing something here. Any advice or pics would be helpful

Dan,

Here is a picture of my setup, clearly there are a million ways to skin this cat (full disclosure I love and condone the skinning of cats) but this is my setup that shows a bit of what I was talking about. I think you will see a lot of folks who go the T-Track route have similar setup. Just makes swapping out a strip much faster, easier and cheaper. You do not have to touch your tracks.

Hope the visual helps. I do not have a QWC so its quite possible I’m missing something too.

-Alex

1 Like

Thanks for the tidbit of info!!

I think it is important that when the spoil board is surfaced there are no ledges left at the ends just in case you want t put a piece longer in your machine.
My 2 cents worth
Pat

You know I thought that as well but my newness to this “hobby” I chalked it off as a dumb question, but I see now what you are saying. I can cut the left and right sides off but I am afraid I am stuck with the front and the back unless I use a backer board to raise the project.

This is something I will keep in my mind as my learning bell curve starts moving from 90 degrees to a much smoother curve….lol

Thanks!!

1 Like

You are too funny……if only it was that easy….haha

Looks nice! Where did you get the yellow-ish end caps and wiring protection

I printed them. I took some endcaps for the x-50 and printed and remeasured and made them accordingly

1 Like