Temporary dust side panels

I rigged this up until my dust boot comes in.
There removable side panels ( acrylic ) inserted in a 1/8” groove . Holds back a big chuck off the dust on the sides. I remove the left side when I home the machine and then put it pack in.

8 Likes

Before I switched mine to aluminum for my new set-up I used acrylic as well. I F360 designed and 3D printed mounts to hold them - am happy to share the file if you would like. It mounts them closer to the rails so they can stay attached.

2 Likes

That looks cool and thanks for the offer but I don’t have a 3D printer
Terry

1 Like

I do. It’s made in China, it’s overly hyped, it’s a frustrating wad of [insert swear word of choice here] and I envy you for not having a 3d printer. :wink:

1 Like

Time to upgrade to a Prusa!

3 Likes

Anything but Creality at this point, I think, and definitely something with a self-leveling bed going forward. This was my first 3d printer ever so I really didn’t know much going into it. I had to exclusively rely on reviews and presentations to make decisions. After nearly a year with Creality, I now know exactly what I need, what I want, what I should and shouldn’t expect.

I really like this but I’m starting to think that all of these Chinese printers are overly hyped. Before I bought the CR-10 V3, I spent months lurking various forums and consuming hours of youtube reviews, all indicating that the printer was “best bang for buck”, and the Super Racer presents in exactly the same way, with the added bonuses of being a delta with a self-leveling bed.

I’m already using PrusaSlicer and love it but I’m not really all that excited about the cost of Prusa vs its build volume compared to similar machines. Their slicer, however, has actually improved the performance of this trash Creality to the extent that I can at least use it for small prototyping jobs. That could definitely imply that, even though the Prusa is smaller, it’s built with better components with actual quality control standards.

To be honest, most of my life has been in the subtractive manufacturing side of things anyway so there’s really nothing this printer can offer that can’t be accomplished with a CNC mill, barring the alleged preservation of materials with additive manufacturing practices. I used the printer almost exclusively for prototyping but, lately, the Onefinity has taken on that role due to Creality’s lack of repeatability and quality.

Sorry about the rant. I have some very emotion-driven opinions on 3d printing these days so I’ll just say that I’m even more grateful for the quality and capabilities of a Onefinity machine.

1 Like

We all have our own experiences. I’ve had a Creality Ender 3 V2 and it’s been great for the past year, I’ve churned out plenty of useful things. Good bang for the buck. Just like the learning curve on the Onefinity though, there is a bit to learn and the small setting changes are equally impactful!

3 Likes

I have the Ender 5 plus for over a year now and would buy it again. 3D printing in general isn’t plug and play.

2 Likes

As I’ve becoming painfully aware. Things didn’t really take a turn for the worst until the end of winter, at about the same time the ambient humidity jumped. It could be that my PLA has absorbed a bit of moisture during the seasonal transition.

I’ve always had an issue with what’s apparently referred to as “elephant’s foot”, though, and no amount of tweaking the plate removes it. It’s just in the one corner and it’s been there since day-one. It’s possible that the plate was always slightly warped, arriving at prints on that one side always lifting. That’s only gotten worse over time.

Moving to PrusaSlicer, I was able to print a 1"x1"x1" cube dead center of the plate that’s dead on from XY and only slightly under 1" on the Z. I also set the Z offset about 2mm, which seemed really high, but resulted in near perfect prints for the really small stuff.

Anything larger than about 2", though, and it’s just failure after failure no matter what I do. It really could be all about the filament. It’s 6 months old, it’s not been dried out and it’s not like there isn’t a ton of dust everywhere most of the time. But, like I said, from initial leveling of the bed, which is hit / miss at the best of times due to the lame 4 handwheels you have to manually adjust to pretend you’re leveling to some manner of precision, there’s always been this one corner that’s problematic.

It’s the Ender, I guess. I initially looked at that but, due to the longevity of the CR-10 and its massive stockpile of positive reviews, I settled. Perhaps I should have taken a chance on the Ender instead. :woman_shrugging: