Tesselated Inlay Cutting Board

My holiday gift for my daughter who loves all things with mice, is a cutting board with tessellated mice inlays. I found a tessellated pattern online that was close to what I wanted to create, however it was too intricate to be used to cut wood inlays. I redrew the basic outline, smoothing the contours enough to ensure it could be cut with a 1/32" end mill. I then used V-Carve to trace my hand drawing, tweaking the resulting vector until the shapes would fit together with minimal gaps.

The inlays are cut from maple, white oak, and panga panga. The boards itself is cherry. After cutting a million mice inlays, I glued them together using blue masking tape to secure them while the glue dried. The sheet of mice was then placed back on the CNC with double side tape, surfaced flat and then cut to the desired outer shape. It was finished with butcher block mineral oil.

16 Likes

Really good detail. Good job!

1 Like

Just WOW @JoeT !!! I’m just blown away by this. So cool. Would love to see this with the mice done a little thicker and no frame. It always seems a shame to inlay so that you can’t tell if it’s marquetry or full thickness. Would be really cool to be able to use either side. Would also be cool to have the corner mice breaking out of the pattern ala MC Escher. Now look what you’ve started!:thinking::grinning:

1 Like

Thanks so much Charles! I had originally planned on making the mice thicker and stand-alone (i.e. not an inlay), but I discovered I would had to have scaled them up more than I wanted to accommodate a larger diameter end mill with a greater cutting depth. At their current size, I wasn’t able to get anything larger than a 1/32" end mill into all the recesses. And those tiny end mills have a max cut depth around 0.200".

Yeah, I hate it when reality steps in and spoils my plans.:smirk:

1 Like

Escher comes to mind great stuff

1 Like