The Table basic

I am curently modeling a table+enclosure for a journeyman, I am still not sure of the total clearance needed for both the router and the dust colector at their maximum reach. Does anyone have information on that ?

Hey Sam,

for the PwnCNC dust boots here

Welcome to the forum!

Looks good.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing - I was wondering how the design was working out for you?

I decided to go very simple for my table design as I was working with a few issues. Like most people, space is at a premium. I have decent space in my garage/workshop but I couldn’t leave a table sitting in the middle of the floor. Also, space was the primary factor in me deciding to buy a Shaper Origin a few months ago. I thought about making another flip top table (the table on the right is flip top) but the foot print wasn’t small enough to make a difference in my case.
So, after doing a ton of research on here and other sites, I decided to make a table that would “nest” over my table saw so that it would preserve as much a space as possible when not in use. The table is simple 4x4 and 2 x 6 construction. 3/4” Baltic birch ply for the top. It has retractable casters that each hold 220 lbs so it can move easily but will still rest on the legs for stability when in use. Now I can use it in its current position or move the table to the middle of the garage if I need to get around to the other side. Table measures 48 x 79. Now just need my Journeyman to get here so I can set it up and get going.
On a side note, I now have a Shaper Origin and Workstation for sale if anyone is interested!

Huh. I made a modified Fisher design for my Journeyman. It’s only 22" deep & 7ft long when flipped vertical for storage but 5ft deep when the table is opened up for use. Would never have been able to put a traditional table of any real size in the space I have right now. The new house will be a different story though - wife gets her dream kitchen and I get a big workshop :slight_smile:

Hi. Love the design. I’m leaning towards a torsion box myself, but I’m just not sure about the total necessary height. What cross-member height did you go with? Or just what overall thickness of the torsion box did you choose? Thanks. :slight_smile:

Hi. I see that both you and @rcincorona opted not to go the torsion box route for your table. Any issue since then? I would rather avoid building one if it is just overkill. Thanks.

Well, I used lap joints (see pic - table is top down) and the only sag is from my imperfect milling/assembly, :slight_smile:
I would guess that if you were building a flip table a more rigid mounting surface would be in order, IMO.

1 Like

Hi.
No issues with my design so far. I used 90x45mm timber for the frame and a 16mm “Trespa” material for the surface. It’s fairly rigid and I haven’t had any issues hitting tolerances when machining aluminium parts.

@Roger

I absolutely love that open design in the pics above. I especially love the neutral gray paint.

Any chance you might have part dimensions or plans / cut files available?

Wayne