Thin board supply

I will be needing quite a few 3/8 thick boards of solid wood can anyone point me in the right direction of either a supplier of this kind of lumber or a machine to resaw it?

It might help if you gave the dimensions you need. 24x36" might be very different than 6x12". The latter can be resawn with a decent bandsaw.

2 Likes

well at the moment i need 5x48x3/8 thick. thank you for your interest in helping

Not knowing what other equipment you have makes it hard to help. Best is buying rough lumber and breaking it down to the sizes you need with a table saw, jointer and planner. These operations can also be done with hand tools but will take a little more time and sweat. However, seeing as how you’re asking, I’m going to assume you don’t have these tools or access to them so then your best option is a lumber yard. You’ll be looking for the stock you want and then paying them to break it down for you. While many standard sizes are readily available, 3/8" thickness is not one of them.

1 Like

It would be easier to be helpful if we knew where you are located and also what kind of wood you want. You might have someone in the onefinity club near you able to help.

1 Like

With a 5 inch width, you could reasonable resaw lumber from a lumber yard to create these boards. Presuming you’re not into hand planing or sanding all those, a planer would be a good buy. If you’re not planning on large production runs, something like the DeWalt DW735X would be good.

Regarding resawing on a tablesaw, you can do that. For a 5 inch board you’ll need to resaw each board twice by flipping it over because the blade height isn’t tall enough. I like bandsaws anyway, so I’m biased, but for this, I’d look at a mid-priced 14" bandsaw that comes with a ripping fence. Something like a Rikon 10-326 or the equivalent based on whatever others might recommend.

2 Likes

Your reply made me smile as I just got back from traveling 135 miles one way to a place that sells good quality woodworking tools and guess what I bought and brought home? A Rikon 10- 326 LOL I had been looking at them previously but never thought I would get one this soon. It will pay for itself many times over in savings on lumber. Not to mention ease of use. Oh, and yes, I have table saw, jointer, and the same DeWalt planer you mentioned as well. Oh, and a shaper too. So, I am pretty much set up now. Thank you for your reply I am taking it as a confirmation i did the right thing. The people on this forum are great.

1 Like

you are right Charles I should have included that info but if you look above you will see that I really kind of did know what I needed. I was just looking for some advice on what bandsaw I should be looking at. I didn’t really think anyone would have that kind of wood in the thicknesses I needed at anywhere near a reasonable price to make my project profitable. But my thanks go out to everyone that responded.

Thats great! I used my Rikon to cut some aluminum for the first two days ago. I needed too notch out four access points on the mount for my laser to attach it to the spindle mount on my journeyman. It did a fine job! If I recall, you’ll want a friend to help set that up. Mine has the enclosed base. I’m not sure if that’s standard. I keep my extra blade in there. I use a magnetic sewing machine light for illumination. They’re cheap. I think I got 2 for 20. It plugs right into the socket on the side.

2 Likes

I am fortunate to have two1 ton chain falls mounted to the ceiling in my shop so I should be fine regarding the lifting requirement. My son can also help me. It would be nice however to have a local wood working friend though. Tomorrow I can start to put it together. I got the laguna king carbide band saw blade. It was very expensive. but should make short work of any resaw project I need done.

Well davzell I did it the rikon 10-326 is assembled and man it runs like a top. Smooth. and so quiet I can hardly believe it. the blade that it came with resawed my 5-inch-thick oak like butter. just turned some 4nto 2 beautiful pieces of 3/8 lumber for a project. so instead of each wood blank of 5" round costing me 1.42 each it is down to 71 cents :slight_smile: I might actually make soe money on this after all.

3 Likes

That’s the saw I’ve been ogling for a couple of months now. You guys are making my purchasing finger itchy.

2 Likes

do it yu will not regret it. I love mine already. went together easily but get soe help standing that sucker up. I have a chain fall so it really wasn’t much trouble. but getting it to the back yard and into my shop was a bear…for my son:)

2 Likes