Thin Part Holding & Blue Tape

You could make a job specific vacuum waste board built to the dimensions of the job to prevent leakage from the unused area a full size vacuum table. Cut it and the underlying grid channels right on the CNC from 3/4" mdf. Full size 32x32 works well, I just cover unused area with cheap 1/8" mdf, and use a small dedicated shop vac for suction. Sometimes takes a little extra time to set up on first run, but for batching it will save a lot of time in the long run.

Joel,
I would love to but it is the vacuum in that equation that is the issue. When I do a run on the insert plates I try to go for 60 pieces at time and that can take a couple hours. I donā€™t think a shop vac would do well with reduced input for that long and I understand vacuums made for that purpose run about $1000

Thought about maybe picking up one of theseā€¦ Venturi Vacuum System (infinitytools.com)

So I tested this out this weekend on my next batch of plates and it worked great. @JimHatch recommended a good product and medium seems to definitely be strong enough. The only issue I had is that since the paper has less texture than blue tape, you really need to weigh it down and get it flat. I would not recommend this on wood necessarily unless it flat plywood or planed/jointed smooth lumber.

I donā€™t recommend using accelerator either. I had one go off quickly and the two sheets didnā€™t bond in several spots. So pieces popped loose while cutting. I had much better luck with putting some weights on it and just letting it cure for a couple minutes.

Those points aside definitely will be using this going forward.

3 Likes

Me too. Thanks for inspiring me to do the tests. I like using transfer tape because itā€™s available in really good widths. I moved my 6" roll from the laser to the CNC :smiley: I usually use 12" widths on the laser so the y" was going unused.

Beats the price & the process of multiple strips of blue tape.

1 Like

Glad you got sorted using the release tape :ok_hand:

By the way if you happen to have a laminate roller, they are very useful for the transfer tape.