Tool Database Question

Hi
I’m new at this still and am having trouble understanding Cadence/Cody’s Feeds and Speeds charts. I’m trying to add the bits to the Vectric tool database and having to do it manually. Am I reading this correctly I have to add each bit with the data per the depth of pass as it is listed on the chart.
Ex. The Jenny has the feeds and speeds listed for .125/pass, .25/pass, .375/pass, .5/pass for standard plywood, soft pine, and standard walnut.
Seems like a lot of bits to list. Plus i have four more of the Jenny’s
Sorry to bother but all the instructions i can find dont really help here.
thanks
Scott

I’m not sure if you can create different settings for each bit I haven’t tried it yet, and I just got my first Jenny’s on Friday too. I just picked the .25” settings for each and entered those into the tool database since I don’t plan on cutting .5” per pass unless someone tells me it easily can!

That’s part of why I’m asking. I’m able to do it but it’s tedious. I might try it your way but then I’ll have to remember to change them if the depths are different.
Also; if anyone can explain knows why are there two different plunge depths listed. I’m not sure which one to use when.

The deeper you can plunge the more of the bit you’re using and you will get longer lifespan from the tool. If you only ever use the bottom .125" of the bit that is the only part that will wear, you will make 2x as many passes vs .250" and you will wear it out 2x as fast. Cutting a slot the width of the bit might be limited to .125" cut depth due to the engagement of half of the bit while you cut, where as cutting one side of a pocket where you have 25% engagement might allow for a .250" cut depth with the same cutting forces. Ultimately you shouldn’t cut more than 2x the diameter of the bit on one pass to aid in chip clearing.

Deeper cuts increase the cutting forces on the machine and may cause deflection of the bit reducing accuracy - also might sound terrible if you hit resonate feed rates with chatter. I have pushed 1/4" bits hard on clearing passes and the cut quality and precision suffers, less so on 3/8 and 1/2" bits because they have less deflection.

Cutting deeper might also reduce machining time, if you are reducing the feed rate to cut deeper it may cancel out. In the case of compression bits you would want to cut at least the depth of the “upcut” portion at the bottom of the bit but typically they’re intended for full depth cuts through the material.

Working in wood is pretty forgiving, if you set the depth too high or the feed rate to high it may sound terrible and the quality may suffer but you likely won’t break the tool.

2 Likes

Okay thanks I think i have that down. So, I just have to enter the feeds and speeds for each wood category he’s listing at the depth of 2X the diameter of the bit. But would that include the Skinny Jenny, a 1/4 shanked 1/16 tapered ball nose bit to only cut to 1/8 depth?