Tool database strategy - brands?

My tools database is a mess and I’ve had it. I want to start a new node and copy in my bits and fix the numbering and finally … to address the material specific settings nightmare I created.

I have quite a few bits from different manufacturers and the specs from each, like freud and amana make their tool data downloadable.

Do you find that, for the most part, all 1/4" EMs are run at the same settings? Do I really have to care if it’s a Freud bit, an Amana, etc? I have some pricey (coated, etc.) bits that I could track separately, but are the general ones all the same? I’d love to eliminate the need to have five different 1/4" EMs with five brand names/vendors.

1 Like

Mine is also a disaster. I’ve looked at ways to modify it easily, but according to aspire or vectric, there’s no way to export or import the current database. My guess is that you have to work with what you got and try to clean it up. Not what I was hoping to hear

Since posting, I’ve completely reworked the database.It took an entire day, looking up specs and identifying bits. My new approach is that I only list specialty bits as manufacturer specific if need be, but otherwise my assumption is that the common cutters are nearly identical. I finally started getting a handle on the materials, as well, where I’ll be able to have appropriate settings if needed. Renumbered everything. Much happier. Now I need a storage system.

You can export and import the database and even individual nodes. Opening the export file suggests it’s just a sql lite database, which I’d assume could easily be accessed externally.

1 Like