Tool Enable - M15 - IOT Relay - & Breakout board (auto turn off/on router)

So… The instructions say to use PWM Spindle, but it looks like the firmware has updated to have an actual choice for the Router (Macita, etc). Is there any update to the instructions to go with this?

I just used Makita and lo/hi and it worked ok. You may need to add M3 etc to the start up code, but no change from previous

1 Like

So I just got this set up with the IoT device. Everything is working fine using PWM Spindle as the method. The only question I have is: Whenever the Code issues G0 (rapid move) the Makita Router is stopped (along with the dust collection). Is there a way to get it so G0 doesn’t stop the router? I’ll try switching it to Router, Makita in the settings and see if that does it.

I am outputting the GCode via Fusion 360 using the community post setup. I am not adding any GCode instructions via the OneFinity controller settings besides the default.

Thanks!

Did you go to I/O Configuration, and make sure Outputs Load 1 and Load 2 are disabled. I think that is what did it for me, but I can’t exactly remember. I had the same issue.

Also, on the Tool Configuration, PWM Spindle, tool-enable mode set to lo-hi.

1 Like

Hey Patrick,

disable “rapid-auto-off” under Tool settings

2 Likes

Hey Tom, hey all,

the “Router” and “Laser” options were introduced with firmware 1.0.9. They are internally based on the “PWM spindle” selection which you had to choose in older versions when using a laser or a router on a relay.

You may have noticed that for both new entries much less options are visible than for “PWM spindle”, but these options are invisibly still present and are automatically set by the default configuration. Thereby the entry for the selection “Router” internally implies “rapid-auto-off”: false while the selection “Laser” implies “rapid-auto-off”: true.

It would be nice to have the documentation updated to reflect that…

Hey Tom,

in this case I would write a feature request, e.g. “please update documentation”, or write to support@onefinitycnc.com

3 Likes

That did it. Thank you!

1 Like

Hey Patrick,

you may change “PWM spindle” to “Router” if you upgraded to firmware 1.0.9, as this tool selection automatically (invisibly) implies “rapid-auto-off”: false.

1 Like

Thank you so muh for the reply. After resetting my Controller I could not remember the Ho-Lo setting. I really appreciate it.

Firstly, I have no knowledge in the field of electronics. I can’t find the diagram to make the connection between the DB25 and IOT relay. Reading all the post, I understood that it has a wire that connects to number 15 and the other? So to make it quick, the + and - IOT relay connects to which number of to DB25? Thank you!

Hey Stéphane,

yes, if you use the relay to switch your milling motor (e.g. the Makita router) (and a dust collector at same time) on and off with M3/M5 commands, you connect pin 15 (‘tool-enable’) and ground (19) to the green control input of the relay. If you have a spindle with VFD, the spindle is switched on and off with Modbus commands instead, but you may use the programmable outputs of the VFD to switch dust collection on and off then since when choosing a VFD as ‘tool-type’ on the TOOL page, the ‘tool-enable’ output on pin 15 does not work. It only works when ‘tool-type’ is set to ‘Router’, ‘Laser’, or ‘PWM spindle’. The wiring could be slightly different then, depending on the type of available VFD outputs.

Hi Aiph5u, So, if l’m correct the posivite (+) from IOT relay go to pin 15 and the negative (-) from IOT relay go to pin 25? I will used Makita router for now.

Thank you!

Stéphane

Hey Stéphane,

yes, ground is available on pins 7, 19, and 25.

If you want to test this, connect the way you described, connect the router to a “normally off” socket on the IoT relay, switch the router on, and after having chosen “Router” as ‘tool-type’ on the TOOL page and ‘tool-enable-mode’ to ‘lo-hi’, into the command entry field of MDI Tab of CONTROL page, you enter:

S1 M3

Then the router should start to run. The “Tool Enable” indicator on the Indicator Tab on CONTROL page should have turned to green. Enter

M5

to stop it again.

1 Like

As a new user, I am wanting to turn on/off my Makita router and dust collection when the carve starts and finishes. This is the first mention I have found suggesting that I can connect two relays to pin 15 ‘tool-enable’.
I have purchased one IOT relay that I plan on using for the router… is it really true that I can purchase a second IOT relay and also connect the wire to pin 15? This would be awesome as my router, dust collection and Onefinity Journeyman controller/monitor are all on separate circuits. I don’t want to fry any circuit boards…

I realized that this is an old post… but I just joined the party!

Thanks
Craig

Hey Craig,

I don’t know the internal circuit of the IoT Relay. If it has an optocoupler or a SSR relay (that usually contains an optocoupler), then the green trigger input is galvanically isolated from the switched circuits. It would be worth finding this out.

But generally, I recommend using optocouplers on the outputs of the 25-pin I/O port of Onefinity/Buildbotics controllers, as they use none! And with those, it is even more easy to implement multiple relays on one output.

Many of the pins of 25-pin I/O port of the Onefinity controller are directly the in-/outputs of the AVR microcontroller inside, and usually it is better to protect this microcontroller with galvanically isolated couplers.

And additionally, if you have an optocoupler on every pin, you can make a circuit that can drive more than a few symbolic microampères. The latter is the reason why people use the FOTEK SSR or the IoT relay, and not a real electromagnetic realy, because the low input current requirement of SSRs makes it possible to connect them directly to the 25-pin I/O port pins, but it is generally not recommended. They saved on many things with this controller.

The Masso has an optocoupler on every port:

I plan to build a better breakout board box for the Onefinity controller, with a longer 25-pin cable, and optocouplers in it, and circular sensor connectors for retrofitting inductive proximity limit switches (to get rid of having to use stall homing). I already have most parts here, including a nice case. Don’t ask me when it will be ready, I’m working on it but have many, many other things to do at the same time.

PS: You could ask the sellers of the IoT relay (FAQ) directly. Ask them: “How is the green trigger input of the IoT relay galvanically isolated from the switched circuits (optocoupler/SSR etc.) and can I wire the green trigger inputs of two IoT relays in parallel, in order to be able to switch them both from one source at the same time, but with their switched side on different supply circuits?”

1 Like

PS2: I just read their specs, they say on the front page:

Optical isolation, relay hysteresis and de-bounce protection add safety.

So the first question is answered, yes the green trigger output is galvanically isolated from the switched circuit. Remains the second question “Can I wire the green trigger inputs of two IoT relays in parallel, in order to be able to switch them both from one source at the same time, but with their switched side on different supply circuits?”

PS3: In their FAQ, they say:

–DC Side The input trigger current to the optoisolator is about 2-3mA at 5V, or 0.002Amp at 5V so you can connect it directly to 5V or 3.3V TTL logic.
The current drawn by the trigger input does not depend much on input voltage (unlike a normal relay). That’s because there’s a trigger circuit inside, so the same terminals can run on a 3.3V or on a 48V DC trigger voltage and the relay will behave identically.

That would mean that wiring the green trigger inputs of two IoT relays in parallel would sum to 4-6 mA. The AVR microcontroller inside the Onefinity controller should be able to deal with that.

But as said above, I don’t recommend connecting whatever it is directly to the 25-pin I/O port pins (except the two ModBus pins, that have an interface), do it at your own risk!

I would ask the IoT sellers anyway.

Hey Craig,

welcome to the forum!

But as said above, I don’t recommend connecting whatever it is directly to the 25-pin I/O port pins (except the two ModBus pins, that have an interface), do it at your own risk!

Thank you for the input (pun not intended!). When you say that you do not recommend a direct connection to the 25-pin I/O port pins (as quoted above), is this referencing directly connecting to the pins from inside the buildbotics case? I am going to use a breakout board (DB25) to make the connection (which I somehow left out of my first post! Sorry about that!)… so not sure if this changes anything. Now, I will most likely only connect the router at first… then see if I can find out from the IOT relay company if I can connect two of these relays to the breakout board. I will report back if I get a response.

I am trying to be as cautious as possible… but unfortunately the automation forces in my head are slowly winning the battle…

Thanks
Craig