Toolpath keeps cutting into wasteboard

Hey everyone, Not sure if this is a V Carve problem, or a machine problem (Probably both with my luck!)

Walked away from this yesterday and thought i’d come back to it today - And still am having the same issue, uncertain where i’m going wrong.

This is my first time playing with 3d toolpaths in V Carve Pro. After a few test runs in MDF, I came out with this.

Which I was satisfied with, so I made a few adjustments and attempted to carve it into some nicer wood. Which has (repeatedly) come out like this…

Which only made it through the Clearing path - Not even the finishing, because theres some things wrong. It appears to be going into my wasteboard during the clearing path and making the model “thinner”.

The material IS 0.75". The material in V Carve is set to that as well. The model is set to a maximum height of 0.6998". Heres a snapshot of my toolpath and preview in V Carve.

I am using a “46376-K Up-Cut Ball Nose Spiral 1/4 Dia x 1 Inch x 1/4 Shank Router Bit” for the clearing path. Checking XYZ with the bit (upside down) on the probe.

HanSoloFinishQQ [Clear 1].ngc (546.7 KB)

I’ve uploaded the .NGC file encase it will help. Anyway, i’m running out of ideas on where i’m going wrong. Any suggestions?

Hey Doc,
You might get away with probing x and y with the bit upside down, but will have to insert the bit the correct way to probe z.
Hope this helps.

Cheers, Neil

Thanks for the help. I should have mentioned I have done that in a previous attempt as well. (Bit upside down XYZ, then do a Z probe with it the correct way).

1 Like