Touch Display AND Controller video output stopped working

Kind of a strange occurrence, since it happened together. Not sure what to do, here is what happened and what I’ve done.

I put in a new spoilboard today and was running a surfacing toolpath. While it was running I noticed the touch display turned black, however the machine kept running so I let it finish

Once the toolpath finished, I turned the display off/on - the “magelok”(touch display manufacturer) blue screen flashed, then to black and said no video.

I tried;
New HDMI cable
Resetting display
Unplugging all cables
Resetting the controller
Flipping between HDMI/usb in the display settings

I then tried plugging my tv media center into the display and same “no video” message

So I presumed it was a display issue and moved a small tv into the garage and connected it to the controller. To my surprise - no video. Confirmed tv HDMI was working and plugged in media center and it displayed no problem. Tried resetting controller, same issue.

I then connected to the controller via web browser on my PC and could use it normally. I updated the firmware, in hopes maybe it would fix something and still nothing. Can only use the machine by web browser now.

I’m out of ideas, and it’s strange both the display and display output on the controller went at the same time. I’ve emailed support, but hoping someone may have an idea here. Can’t recall what the warranty is on the X59, it’s getting close to 1 year though.

Thanks!

I would suggest emailing support@onefinitycnc.com if you haven’t already, if hardware replacement is required and still under warranty they are the ones that can help.

1 Like

Hey DocShay,

my (rather long) experience with Raspberry Pis is that they are not as robust as one may think. I had the HDMI output suddenly fail, while the rest worked perfectly (running programs, remote operation, remote login, etc.). I reinstalled all Raspberry Pi firmware packages, but no success. I had to replace the Raspberry Pi 3B to have a working HDMI output again. (after I ordered a Raspberry Pi 3B, it was out of stock – seems to have been the last one :slight_smile:)

Be sure that your CNC machine is correctly grounded and bonded.

Should you open the controller (or any computer), e.g. to remove the internal SD card, I suggest to always work ESD-safe , i.e. that you put it on a grounded antistatic mat (as shown on image) and that you wear an antistatic wrist strap.